News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Charts n charts..?

Started by vanjast, May 03, 2011, 09:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanjast

I've seen a few samples on drawing charts, but would like to know if there is a repository (or detailed tutorial) for this in Asm.

:U

baltoro

I've seen numerous examples of chart controls implemented in C++,...but, never in assembly.
I assume that you want to paint one on a window,... And, the ones that I remember are created in 3D, so you can rotate them.
The ones that I have seen are kind of cumbersome, because the authors try to incorporate every imaginable feature into its design.
It's a great idea, though,...maybe, we could organize a development team,...
Baltoro

mineiro

To be honest with you Sr vanjast, I really don't fully understand the word charts. I don't know if you like something like a 'flowchart' or a 'chart'.
Well, I have some samples in my hd that I can find to you, but don't know exactly what you like. Something like draw a circle, or a square?
Have done a search here, and found:
barchart - this one is here in this forum.
RaGraph - this one is included with a old Radasm version.
RaCad - this one is like a Cad paint program. Radasm too. SimCad.
DrawProgress - with radasm too, draw a progress bar, but the bar is like 3d.
Not sure if is this that you are asking, if not, sorry, my intention is only help.

vanjast

Mineiro:
Ja, it's just barcharts and line charts at the moment, and will expand it later. I would like to visually present data from 'head-ache' type number crunching.
I've seen most of those examples you've mentioned, but was wondering if there is an alternative explicit Asm tutorial on how to do this -  the 'rules' to follow when doing the drawings.
I haven't done this before so kinda looking for easy reading stuff.

I suppose there might be one, as Baltoro says written for C programmers - I'll scan for this.
I do not want to do it in COM, but rather make a little lib file,or something similar

Thanks
:lol

dedndave

kind of a line chart - looks like fun   :P
http://www.oscilloscope-lib.com/
may be something there you can use, depending on what you are doing

FORTRANS

Hi,

The OpenGL Forum might have some examples?  I guess
you need to define what the final product will be.  Hard copy or
display?  Good quality or quick and dirty?

Cheers,

Steve

baltoro

vanjast,
The major problem with simple 2D charts is that the author will try to create a 'generic' chart control, that can be adapted to any data format. An excellent example of this is the Microsoft Chart Control that comes with Windows versions that have NET Framework and ASP.NET installed. It's a COM component, and, can be initialized with almost a dozen different data formats. Here is a listing of programmer blog entries that describe how to actually use the control: Alex Gorez's Weblog. Clearly, you don't want this kind of thing,...
Another problem is that programmers create these controls for specific environments, like ASP.NET, or, ATL, or, Silverlight (XML-based), or, HTML,...or, they create the control with MFC or, worse, the NET Framework. Most of the Chart Controls out there are designed for use on a webpage.   
I searched over at CodeProject, and found this: Using the MS Chart Control in VC++. This one has the following dependencies: MFC42.DLL, MSVCRT.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL, USER32.DLL, ADVAPI32.DLL, OLEAUT32.DLL. The MS Chart Control is not the same as the ASP.NET Chart Control described above. (Note: To download source files from CodeProject, you have to register,...which, just requires an e-mail address).
CBarChart. It's simple, but, unfortunately it's based on MFC. 
Here is fairly sophisticated chart control (unfortunately, it also is an MFC component): Scientific Charting Control.
This Charting Control: High-Speed Charting Control, seems to have the most cool features, and the best documentation.
...Translating any of these projects into Assembly Language would be a very time-consuming effort,...
Baltoro