News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

My project causes OllyDbg to crash

Started by Shooter, January 06, 2011, 05:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter

I'm not sure if it's allowed to post my problem on this forum, so if it is, please let me know.

I've compiled an executable that does mostly what I want it to do, except I'm trying to move some code into it's own proc (ChangeTextColor). I've enabled the /debug feature during compiling and now when I try to step through it, Olly crashes, and I don't know why.

First of all, I'd like to know if anyone else can duplicate the crash.

Secondly, can anyone help, both with the crash and what I'm attempting to do? (There seems to have been an issue with passing a handle to the proc. That's where I was stuck at prior to the crashing.)

Thanks,
-Shooter
Never use direct references to anything ever. Bury everything in
macros. Bury the macros in include files. Reference those include
files indirectly from other include files. Use macros to reference
those include files.

qWord

sometimes it helps to delete the corresponding *.udd-file from Olly's directory.
FPU in a trice: SmplMath
It's that simple!

donkey

Hi Shooter,

The OllyDbg problems you are having are just fine to post here, however there are very few experts in OllyDbg here. For questions regarding OllyDbg you might think about using the OllyDbg forum at woodmann:

http://www.woodmann.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-OllyDbg-Support-Forums

They will be able to supply quicker more complete solutions to your problems.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Shooter

Quote from: donkey on January 06, 2011, 05:47:15 PM
http://www.woodmann.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-OllyDbg-Support-Forums

They will be able to supply quicker more complete solutions to your problems.

Thanks. When I performed a Google search for a forum, I got quite a number of websites, and some didn't look legitimate.

-Shooter
those include files.

donkey

Quote from: Shooter on January 06, 2011, 05:54:38 PM
Thanks. When I performed a Google search for a forum, I got quite a number of websites, and some didn't look legitimate.

Yeah, Oleh should really update his website, he moved to woodmann years ago but still has the link to Hiro's board.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Tight_Coder_Ex

Quote from: qWord on January 06, 2011, 05:31:00 PM
sometimes it helps to delete the corresponding *.udd-file from Olly's directory.

When I did this (delete udd), mine is 8,735 in size versus your 39,048.  I single steped through the program and it functioned in OLLY without a hitch.  Should I be catching it in one of your procedures?

Shooter

Quote from: Tight_Coder_Ex on January 06, 2011, 06:14:47 PM
Quote from: qWord on January 06, 2011, 05:31:00 PM

When I did this (delete udd), mine is 8,735 in size versus your 39,048.  I single steped through the program and it functioned in OLLY without a hitch.  Should I be catching it in one of your procedures?

I noticed it appears to crash in the ChgTxtClr proc. It also crashed when I attempted to set a watch for ss:[ebp+10], a breakpoint at that location (push dword ptr ss:[ebp+10], and running until that breakpoint.
those include files.

jj2007

Attached a Masm-compliant version, with proper paths (not everybody has E:\...).
It does not crash on my PC with Win XP SP2.

By the way, ChgTxtClr seems not to have any effect, but it should work without crashing...

Congrats that you got the debug build to work :U

Tight_Coder_Ex

I concur with JJ and my system is;

XP Pro SP 3
     ml  6.15.8803
link Ms 5.12.8078
      Rc 5.00.1823.1 - Build 1823
    Olly  1.10

I did notice your executable was a little different than mine as in a jump table @ 401000, which I've only come across using VC 6.0.  Maybe somewhere in this will like to clue.