MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

On a mission

Started by Magnum, November 23, 2010, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum

Mission - Make Workforce Solutions happy without dying in the process

To stay on food stamps, I have to spend 28 hrs. , with documentation, of my job search for this week.

Documentation includes getting business cards, signed statements, etc. which I will fax to them.

They wanted me to come in personally with the log sheets, but I got the O.K. to fax  in the log sheets.
(Going in would take away time from my job search.)

I have no car.

If it takes 30 minutes to ride my bike to a potential job, and 5 minutes to inquire of openings,
I only get credit for 5 minutes of work.

I get credit too for internet job search, but we both know that is very low yield.

Any ideas my friends ?  :dazzled:

Have a great day,
                         Andy

oex

We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

Magnum

The picture is cute.

So, who do you work for, so I'll know who NOT to apply to work for?

Have a great day,
                         Andy

Magnum

I saved your pic.

Just sent it to some folks with this caption,

"My sign is made up, I start tomorrow."

Have a great day,
                         Andy

Bill Cravener

You really need to peddle harder Andy! :lol

I read in one of your other posts that you have a grandson so you can't be a spring rooster anymore (more like an old cock :bg). If you live in the city or suburbs do they not have public transportation? Even in the small town I live in they have public buses that go by twice a day. You must be in pretty fit shape from all that bike peddling.

With your interest in computers why not fix personal pc's for folks. It's a great way to make some extra bucks. I use to do a good bit of it and it would add up to several thousand dollars to my yearly income. It was usually extra "cash" pocket money except when it was computer work for a business.

Edgar said something in another thread about home pc's sitting in corners collecting dust (or something along that line). I'll tell you one reason they do, it is because they no longer work but can in most cases be fixed up good as new. The rub is folks need to know you can help and it won't cost them an arm and a leg to get that help.

I use to post little business cards at the supermarkets. Many of them have bulletin boards were people can post notices and business cards. Local free publications are another way to let people know you may be able to fix them up.

There are a couple local shops in my area that do computer fixing but they charge $50 to $75 bucks per hour. I can more often then not fix a problem within an hour and I charge $20 bucks (they must bring the machine to me). If I have to drive to the persons home or business I charge $30 bucks an hour.

Anyway, just my 50 cents buddy. Good luck on the job search!
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

Magnum

Quote from: Bill Cravener on November 23, 2010, 11:39:27 AM
You really need to peddle harder Andy! :lol

I read in one of your other posts that you have a grandson so you can't be a spring rooster anymore (more like an old cock :bg). If you live in the city or suburbs do they not have public transportation? Even in the small town I live in they have public buses that go by twice a day. You must be in pretty fit shape from all that bike peddling.

Pearland, Texas doesn't have public transportation at the present.
One benefit of the peddling was that I lost 15 lbs. which I needed to lose. :-)

With your interest in computers why not fix personal pc's for folks. It's a great way to make some extra bucks. I use to do a good bit of it and it would add up to several thousand dollars to my yearly income. It was usually extra "cash" pocket money except when it was computer work for a business.

I am doing that, but haven't got any business yet. I know that will change.

Edgar said something in another thread about home pc's sitting in corners collecting dust (or something along that line). I'll tell you one reason they do, it is because they no longer work but can in most cases be fixed up good as new. The rub is folks need to know you can help and it won't cost them an arm and a leg to get that help.

I have posted ads trying to sell stuff I have fixed and recovered.

I use to post little business cards at the supermarkets. Many of them have bulletin boards were people can post notices and business cards. Local free publications are another way to let people know you may be able to fix them up.

Did not think of the free publications. Thanks so much.

There are a couple local shops in my area that do computer fixing but they charge $50 to $75 bucks per hour. I can more often then not fix a problem within an hour and I charge $20 bucks (they must bring the machine to me). If I have to drive to the persons home or business I charge $30 bucks an hour.

Anyway, just my 50 cents buddy. Good luck on the job search!

Thanks for all the good ideas.

I also have a home repair and remodeling business.

My mother has early stages of dementia.
I look for work/business near her house in Houston. (50 min. ride by bike)

Have a great day,
                         Andy

oex

Quote from: Magnum on November 23, 2010, 11:16:05 AM
So, who do you work for, so I'll know who NOT to apply to work for?

:lol I dont, I am also looking for ideas of how to get by.... That looks about the best option atm :bg
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

Vortex

Hi oex,

Nice picture. Unfortunately, this is the system of masters and slaves ruling all over our planet.

oex

:bg Just to clear up any confusion, we have google to thank for this picture it is not me :lol

I read today that it costs 50% more to live in the countryside than in the cities, I also have no transport.... Being unemployed I tried to get housing benefit to move to the city to look for work but they will only relocate me in my small town.... It certainly grinds you down.... I've tried a couple of times to start up a business over 10 years however always ended up worse off than when I started (my customers all did pretty well though :bg).... Now I'm not even eligable for a state pension when I'm older and have large debts to the Inland Revenue for bills totaling more than my entire business income which they wont believe I cant owe.... Legally I'm meant to be allowed to have a bank account however the banks dont seem to think so.... It makes me wonder if it's worth bothering.... I guess this puts me in the slaves category along with the other 99% of the population :lol

Bill Cravener

Keep fighting back fellows. Something will come along and things will work out OK. Hell, like you guys I've had my ups and downs thru life (as I'm sure most of us here have). Be you rich or poor life doesn't come easy, its freaking hard work! :bg
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

Magnum

O.K. oex.

Is that your story and are you sticking to it?  :dance:

I have a job interview tomorrow at Walgreens.(Asst. Manager)

I was supposed to talk with H.R. at Petco today.

Got my pants pressed and and put on my uncomfortable black shoes.

When I showed up, I found out that the H.R. lady hadn't got around to looking over the apps.

Store manager told me yesterday, that H.R. lady was interviewing today.
I guess it's part of the "test."

No, problem. I like dressing up.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

oex

:lol it's a work in progress, whatever banker is managing my 'futures' isnt doing a very good job of it, it'll work out though, I cancelled Christmas the last 6 years and worked on my employability or at least my programming skills, 2 years of that living in a garden shed (literally :lol).... I do remember sometime in the distant past when I actually got paid to work and worked 8 instead of 16 hour days and 5 instead of 7 day weeks :lol

Anyways good luck with your job interview :bg

Magnum

Have a great day,
                         Andy

oex

Quote from: Magnum on November 23, 2010, 05:33:51 AM
I have no car.

If it takes 30 minutes to ride my bike to a potential job, and 5 minutes to inquire of openings,

This is the thing that gets me :lol.... The last time I went job hunting was January I must admit I havent been very proactive since.... I walked 14 miles to the nearest town and then slept overnight in a sleeping bag in a field in -7 weather the next day I canvased it with my card and asked at all the open shops about jobs. About 100-150 cards and about 2-3 hours later I walked back home 14 miles with 3 website clicks and 2 job application forms for part time jobs which, truth be told I had no chance of getting to without a lot of goodwill from my potential employer/workmates....

Magnum

Quote from: oex on November 23, 2010, 11:13:38 PM
Quote from: Magnum on November 23, 2010, 05:33:51 AM
I have no car.

This is the thing that gets me :lol.... The last time I went job hunting was January I must admit I havent been very proactive since.... I walked 14 miles to the nearest town and then slept overnight in a sleeping bag in a field in -7 weather the next day I canvased it with my card and asked at all the open shops about jobs. About 100-150 cards and about 2-3 hours later I walked back home 14 miles with 3 website clicks and 2 job application forms for part time jobs which, truth be told I had no chance of getting to without a lot of goodwill from my potential employer/workmates....

What do you do now? (For a living.)

Have a great day,
                          Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional
http://www.happynews.com

Have a great day,
                         Andy