News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

resize a jpeg

Started by Magnum, November 22, 2010, 03:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum

I am working on a business card for my computer business.

I have a jpeg that I am trying to reduce in size.

I tried saving as a .bmp and then reducing, but the images looks crappy.

Any suggestions?

Have a great day,
                         Andy

dedndave

depending on what it looks like, you may want to use vector graphics
InkScape is a free program (think that's right)
if you have a logo, you may want to reduce it as a bitmap, then place it on the vector image
or - convert the reduced vector image, then add the logo

EDIT - in some cases, you may have to create the card at the size you want to end up with

jj2007

I recently had a similar problem, 'upgrading' of a screenshot to a 300dpi tiff image as requested by professional editors.
After trying PaintShop and Gimp, I ended up with ImageMagick. Freeware, and there is a commandline interface, too.

C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.6.5-Q8\convert.exe MyFile.jpg -filter cubic -resize 400% MyFile.bmp

would be a first step; then perhaps

C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.6.5-Q8\convert.exe MyFile.bmp -filter cubic -resize 40% MyFile.gif

or similar - you will have to test it.

clive

GIMP or Photoshop have always worked quite well for this. Always using the best/highest resolution source helps.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

Vortex

Another option is XnView Portable :

http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/xnview_portable

QuoteFeatures

* Import about 400 graphic file formats
    * Export about 50 graphic file formats

Magnum

Quote from: clive on November 22, 2010, 04:34:56 PM
GIMP or Photoshop have always worked quite well for this. Always using the best/highest resolution source helps.

The image I downloaded is a jpeg.

I'll mess around with the other suggested programs and see what happens.

If they don't work, I'll keep looking for a bmp image of a computer or a computer repair person.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

Magnum

As a photographer, I keep thinking in terms of film.

I don't think picture resizing has many parallels with film properties.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

jj2007

Normally, resizing with PaintShop or similar software should not produce bad images. Try to use multiples of 2, i.e. exactly 50% or 25% of original size.

dedndave

or 3 or 4 - but exact integers
i.e., if you reduce an image by a factor of 3, each 9 pixel square may become a single pixel
i have seen interesting results by modulo-shifting an image
in other words, add a few pixels to one edge, and try again
we might be able to offer better advice if we could see the original and the reduction

i had mentioned vector graphics, as i have had issues reducing things like schematics
a business card may be very similar
however, if you are having problems reducing a jpeg, there is something else at play

Magnum

Quote from: jj2007 on November 23, 2010, 12:28:27 AM
Normally, resizing with PaintShop or similar software should not produce bad images. Try to use multiples of 2, i.e. exactly 50% or 25% of original size.

I used Irfanview to reduce my jpg to 25 and 50%, and the image got worse than the original.

Unless these other programs use some new and improved algorithm, I'll just find a bmp or I'll may borrow my friends digital camera and use a picture of my "Dumpster Special" as my logo on my business card.

I found a front cover for it and spray painted it gloss black.

Outta here.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

oex

The image will always be worse than the original however there are different algorithms that resize, smooth and sharpen in different ways.... If you have a low resolution image to start with, you are not resizing with a multiple size or you are changing the proportions of the image you will potentially have greater problems
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

dedndave

i have taken 6 images and reduced them to 10%, 25%, and 50%
they look ok to me   :P

http://www.4shared.com/file/Bqg3A3qW/reduced.html

Magnum

I installed the program.
Haven't had time to play with it.

Rather a large puppy with all kinds of bells and whistles.  :8)

Andy
Have a great day,
                         Andy