News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

My cpu is burning both ends of the candle

Started by Magnum, October 02, 2010, 09:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum

I am getting CPU usage in the 90 % range when there are no windows on the Taskbar and no open programs.

Everything is going real slow.

I got ShellExView, but there are about a 100 entries.

I am looking for suggestions as to what categories or items to start disabling to track down the source.

Andy
Have a great day,
                         Andy

Antariy

Quote from: Magnum on October 02, 2010, 09:06:02 PM
I am getting CPU usage in the 90 % range when there are no windows on the Taskbar and no open programs.

Hi!

Which OS you have? If NT - check which process gives this load (check in TaskManager - [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Esc])?

Alex

Gunther

Andy,

that sounds very strange. As Alex (Antariy) even wrote, check via task manager what happens there. Did you check your machine with actual virus scanners?

Gunther
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Magnum

Alex and Gunther,

This is what someone told me.

<A shell extension has probably crashed.>

The shellex program shows all the shell extensions and allows you to disable the ones you want.

Apparently, it can be used to track down the source of my problem.

I am opening one program at a time, and checking the Cpu usage.

So far, Internet explorer and explorer are OK.

I will keep "plugging away" till I find the culprit.  :P

Andy
Have a great day,
                         Andy

Antariy

Quote from: Magnum on October 02, 2010, 10:57:12 PM
<A shell extension has probably crashed.>

So far, Internet explorer and explorer are OK.

If Explorer.exe is not use much CPU time, this is meant what this is not "crash of shell extension". Because under "shell extension" is meaned COM-based DLLs, which is works in-processly, and its owner process is explorer.exe - i.e. - shell.
So, if some code in shell extension is buggy, and stuck to an infinite loop, then explorer.exe must "eat" big piece of CPU time.  :P

Alex

Magnum

In Event Viewer - Application

This is all the errors that have occured for the last three days.

Fault bucket 126833367.

Fault bucket 87299515.

Hanging application hh.exe, version 5.2.3790.1159, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang

address 0x00000000.

Hanging application HelpCtr.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang

address 0x00000000.

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from:

<http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt>

with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr =

0x8007043c.
Have a great day,
                         Andy

Gunther

Andy,

do you have automatic updates enabled? That seems to be the source of your entire trouble.

Gunther

Magnum

Auto updates has been turned off.

I am checking my event viewer frequently so I know what I was running when it occurs again.

I have eliminated Firefox and Thunderbird.

Andy

Sow your seed in the morning, and do not stop working until the evening; for you do not know which activity will succeed – whether this one or that one, or whether both will prosper equally. Ecclesiastes 11:6
Have a great day,
                         Andy

Magnum

I saw that your location is Berlin.

As in Germany?

My mother was born in Hannover.
I have been there twice.

Andy
Have a great day,
                         Andy

Gunther

Andy,

Quote from: Magnum, October 03, 2010, at 03:28:41 AMMy mother was born in Hannover. I have been there twice.

Yes, my location is Berlin, Germany. Hannover is a nice city, too, but it's approximately 250 miles away from Berlin.

To your CPU problem. There is a handy tool, called CCleaner; you'll find it, for example, here: http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/ Check your system with it, especially what is loaded at system start. You'll be surprised what's going on.

Gunther

Antariy

Quote from: Magnum on October 02, 2010, 11:54:10 PM
Hanging application hh.exe, version 5.2.3790.1159, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang

address 0x00000000.

Hanging application HelpCtr.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang

address 0x00000000.

This is very nice - some module with "speaking" name *HungApp* cause a hang.
I see, what HelpCtr is member of this ball. You have WinXP? WinXP help system, part of which is HelpCtr.exe and hh.exe (in some kinds of sense), and I hear what is the security bug in help system of WinXP, which can gain control over your system.
Try to turn-off helping service at all.

Edited: "Help and Support" is the name of helping service.

Alex

Magnum

The problem is occurring less frequently.

But when it occured last I checked right after the event and there were no errors

I did recently reinstall XP.

I recently found that I had not yet disabled disk caching for my hard disks.
Maybe I had a momentary power outage ?

Right now I am trying to figure out why the software for my scanner can find the device.

Andy

Have a great day,
                         Andy

Gunther

redskull

There is a wonderful sysinternals utility, ProcDump, which can be set to take crash dumps of a process when CPU usage exceeds a certain amount.  Set it and forget it, and when you come back, there will be a minidump you can investigate further.

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

Magnum

Quote from: Gunther on October 04, 2010, 08:20:06 PM
Andy,

solved your XP problems?

Gunther

I got the scanner working O.K.

I forgot that if you don't do things in exact order, things go "veruckt."

Andy
Have a great day,
                         Andy