What about ML 9 included in the free Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition ?

Started by frktons, February 17, 2010, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frktons

Hi.

Some weeks ago I downloaded the Visual C++ 2008 Express edition that is free from Microsoft
site, and it includes the C/C++ compiler version 9 and ML version 9 as well.

I'd like to ask a couple of question.

- using ML 6.11 or ML 9 is the same for the tools and the source code in MASM32 project?

- The EULA of ML 9 is almost the same than that of Win98 DDk I think, only you must have a
fast internet connection do download the huge package. Am I right?

Frank

Mind is like a parachute. You know what to do in order to use it :-)

dedndave

the newer assemblers should work fine in place of v6.14 that is in the masm32 package
each version has it's little bugs and quirks

not sure about EULA's - i tend to ignore such things, as i do not write and sell applications or OS's

BlackVortex

Yep, you can put any ml.exe version in place, they are compatible. Also, you can put jwasm renamed as ml.exe   :green2

hutch--

frktons,

ML.EXE 9.0 works fine with MASM32 as the slight changes that occurred with 8.0 were dealt with in the include files and for what its worth its a good version that seems to have little wrong with it. The EULA is reasonably free but has 2 limitations, can only be used with Microsoft operating systems and cannot be used for Open Source projects.

If you can't use it due to licence limitations there are other tools available, NASM, FASM, GNU AS.EXE are all well supported properly documented tools and if JWASM ever gets decent support and documentation it will probably do the job OK as it is well written.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

frktons

Well, I'm going to use MASM [ML.EXE] on Windows 7, 64 bit, and I don't
think I'm going to produce any considerable software in the next 5 years  :dazzled:

So everything's fine.  :8)

Thanks for your answers.

Frank
Mind is like a parachute. You know what to do in order to use it :-)

dedndave

if you plan on writing 64-bit code, you may want to look into JWasm
there is a 64-bit subforum also