MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Memory leakage tool

Started by Biterider, April 07, 2005, 12:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biterider

Hi
A week ago I saw a demo of a tool that helps to prevent memory leakage. I was impressed to see how it works.  :U
You have to compile a module with your sources and run the app. When the app ends, a summary is shown with all the lines in the code where memory was allocated and not released.

The idea behind the approach of this tool was very interesting and I'm interested to know if someone has done something in this direction implemented for MASM?

Regards,

Biterider

pbrennick

Can you post the link to the demo?

Paul

sluggy

NuMega / Compuware have had a tool that does this for a long time now, it integrates into Visual Studio, very effective.

hutch--

I am definitely "Olde Skewl" when it come to code design that uses memory. Applying the law of gravity, what goes up must come down so when you allocate memory, you also design where it is deallocated and further, you test it to make sure it works. If you design code this way you don't get leaks, if you slop memory allocation around all over the place, it is nearly impossible to clean it up after and while tools of this type help, its no substitute for designing the allocation strategy properly in the first place.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Biterider

Hi Hutch
You are right and that's what the coders of this tool claim.
Never the less, Murphy is always present and nobody can say that he has written and complex application with 100% certainty that all memory issues were done properly. Putting things in this light, I think that such a tool is a must have to check serious applications that will run on customers machines.

Biterider

thomasantony

Memory management is the main roadblock in my OS development.  I have been trying for some time but got bored.

Thomas :U
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free

pbrennick

Hi All,
Hutch is, of course, correct when it comes to your own development strategies.  But, if you regularly download and test other people's code on your machine, you better have a tool such as this in your arsenal unless you want to spend many hours examining the code belonging to others to determine if memory management is an issue.  *Or cold boot very often*

Also, as far as Visual Studio tools are concerned, all I can say is anyone who can afford these pricey packages is fortunate, indeed.  I live on a fixed income and that would certainly *break* it!

Paul

rags

Paul,
I hear you, my meager "allowance" dont allow for these nice things. :lol
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

Biterider

Hi all
I know that this tool is expensive and wouldn't it be nice if we write it by ourselves?  :8)

Possibly, a strategy to implement such a tool for MASM looks like this:

1. Hook all APIs that allocate and deallocate memory.
2. Keep tracking the lifecycle of the returned handles and pointers and were they were called.
3. Hook the ExitProcess API.
4. Show the results when ExitProcess was called.

So far, nothing too complicated, but the problem I face is to get and show the code where memory was allocated without freeing it. I can get the memory offset but it doesn't give me any feedback of the source code line. Even if I use a debugger, I don't know how to get the correct source code line. Does somebody have an idea?

Regards,

Biterider

hitchhikr

I'm working on such stuff right now.

Biterider

Hi Hichhikr
What approach are you following? How would you solve the source code addressing issue?

Regards,

Biterider

hitchhikr

It's not implemented yet so there might be some flaws in the logic.
Basically all i may do is to patch the known memory allocation functions in the import table of the file (after the calling so i can store the returned value), retrieve the calling address from the stack and walk thru it until the first valid call is found (that is inside a relevant sourcecode + line number) and store this entry somewhere.
An entry is discarded if the relevant memory functions is triggered (if the passed parameter to the freeing function is found in the list then it is removed, depending of the kind of memory allocation, of course).
All stuff still remaining in the list may eventually be freed and reported somewhere.
I haven't considered other handles yet.

You may also want to take a look at this:
http://research.microsoft.com/sn/detours/

Biterider

Hi all
I have done the first step for the MemLeak tool, that is the API hooking of 3 procs I wanted to monitor: HeapAlloc, HeapFree and HeapReAlloc. Already the first tests showed me a programming error I had done with the memory allocation!

I created an object I called IAT32Hook that simply replaces the entry of a given API in the "Import Address Table" with the address of my own proc. By this way I can keep a count of this API (on successful return) and compare, i.e. the count of the allocation against the freeing of heap memory. If both counts are equal all is OK, but if not, somebody has forgotten to release a memory block somewhere in the code...

I'm thinking to do the same with other APIs that always go in pairs like BeginPaint and EndPaint.

At this point, the code I posted here doesn't keep track of handles, pointers or memory offsets. It simply counts. Of course, more sophisticated strategies can be thought, i.e. to check if a returned memory handle was freed. If not, the offset of the memory allocation can be shown. This info could come from the return address of the call to my API substitute procedure. The problem here is to relate this info with the source code to show this place to the programmer. I'm not familiar with the COFF information, but I guess that it could be a way to achieve it. Some help on this point will be appreciated!  :8)

This tool is a free open source project. I'm using ObjAsm32 to test it, but it can be used on other asm development platforms, too.

Regards,

Biterider

[attachment deleted by admin]

Eóin

MemProof is free and does something like that.