Can someone who will be online, please help me with these ASM files

Started by jdog82, November 24, 2009, 05:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdog82

I am with a small development team tasked with porting a clasic Neo Geo game to the iPhone. I need someone to possibly assist with the files that was sent to me. Trying to see what they are, they are ASM files and etc. Can someone chat for just a few moments by PM? Thanks!!!

hutch--

Jd,

It would probably help if you recognised what type of assembler code it is. PC, PPC etc ...

There are plenty of people here who can probably help you with x86 asm but for others I don't know.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Mirno

A quick google reveals:
NeoGeo was a 68k, and a z80.

The 68k always ran at 12MHz - so this may be a feature used to keep time.
The 68ks were often from different manufacturers. There may be foibles because of this too (instruction timing, or undocumented features).

Not much was mentioned about the z80, other than it was often used to drive the sound, which in turn was pushed out to a Yamaha YM2610.

Mirno

jj2007

Quote from: Mirno on November 24, 2009, 10:17:34 AM
The 68k always ran at 12MHz - so this may be a feature used to keep time.

My Atari ST ran at 8 MHz, Mirno.

Wiki:
Production chips were available in 1980, with initial speed grades of 4, 6, and 8 MHz. 10 MHz chips became available during 1981, and 12.5 MHz chips during 1982. The 16.67 MHz "12F" version of the MC68000, the fastest version of the original HMOS chip, was not produced until the late 1980s.

jj2007

jdog82

Thanks for the replies. Based on the information posted previously does anyone believe they could assist me?

dedndave

hi jdog - welcome to the forum
there is more to programming the neo geo than just knowing the 68k, z80, and yamaha sound chip
the programmer must know all the other internal hardware, as well
your best bet is, of course, to find someone who has written code for the neo geo before
otherwise, you are looking for someone who COULD learn all the hardware - quite an undertaking
i hope that is helpful - Dave