News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

another wrinkle in monitors

Started by shankle, October 09, 2009, 06:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

I've been reading a lot about how good the H-IPS monitors are . But the prices are way out of line.

The latest wrinkle I've seen is the 120hz versus the 60hz monitor. The price for a Viewsonic with the
120hz is about half of what an H-IPS monitor costs.
Lot of info on this topic in the Hardforum but it is very confusing to me.

So how can a 120hz monitor for half the price be better than an H-IPS monitor?????????
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

shankle

update: found out some more goodies.

1: an h-ips monitor gives you quality

2: a 120hz monitor gives you quantity

They are making monitors now at 120hz on TN Panels.
As far as I can tell there are NO monitors made now with h-ips and 120hz combined.
Probably when they do, I won't be able to get one anyway because of the price.

hutch--

Jack,

With the new box I recently added a 24 inch wide screen and its like working on a acre paddock. I checked and it runs at 60hz which sounds slow from my CRT days but it works fine and seems to easily be fast enough. It is a BENQ G2420HD and so far its very hard to fault. i did not like the early flatscreens, they tended to look a bit VGA but these later ones seem to work well, have good colour accuracy and are that sharp they make my movies look like trash.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

shankle

Good Lord another wrinkle in monitors.
OLED otherwise known as "Organic Light Emitting Diode"
On the "Hardforum" is where I saw mention of it. Don't know if any of them are out yet.
The article I read claimed they would be better than "H-ISP" but who knows if the guy making
the comments knows what he is talking about.
Hope my monitor doesn't break  just yet, so I can wait for one of these wonders.
It will probably be in the $2000 range so I can't buy one.

konan

Quote from: shankle on October 09, 2009, 06:33:42 PM
I've been reading a lot about how good the H-IPS monitors are . But the prices are way out of line.

The latest wrinkle I've seen is the 120hz versus the 60hz monitor. The price for a Viewsonic with the
120hz is about half of what an H-IPS monitor costs.
Lot of info on this topic in the Hardforum but it is very confusing to me.

So how can a 120hz monitor for half the price be better than an H-IPS monitor?????????

Ignorant is going with a monitor just because it has a lower response time instead of thinking it through, gamer or not.

Let's look at the facts:

1ms = 1/1000 of a second

2ms response time = 500fps

4ms response time = 250fps

8ms response time = 125fps

I don't know ANYONE who uses a monitor in ANY display mode with a refresh rate higher than 120Hz. So, an 8ms response time would be adequate handle 120Hz. As someone who has been a gamer since video games have existed, I can say that 8ms is *more* than adequate, even for hardcore gamers. Anything beyond that is market hype meant to sell cheap 6-bit monitors.

And, as a gamer who also does OTHER things with my monitors, I would choose a monitor with 8ms response time that has TRUE 8-bit color for things like image/video editing over a 2ms TN panel that can't display any sort of color gradient to save it's life.....

Now, if you're a gamer, and all you do is gaming and you have some non-existent computer and video cards capable of playing games at 1920x1200 (or 1080) at 500fps (which would be the framerate required to demand 2ms response time), then by all means, pickup a TN panel........ But I doubt you do, so at this point, you're simply showing that you got caught by the marketing hype and bought into the whole 2ms response time as actually having value, which it doesn't.

Same thing with these 120Hz and now 240Hz HDTVs. People swear that it makes fast-motion video look crisper. I'd like to see that considering the video source itself is limited to 30/60fps (30fps in 1080, 60fps in 720). More marketing hype. Another way to charge more for the same old displays......

I think this can be helpful for you. :-)

shankle

From my reading on OLEDs it seems that they are about 2 or 3 years away from making a decent sized Monitor.
And then poor folk like me will have to wait another 3 years for the prices to come down.
:( :( :(

ecube

Quote from: shankle on November 02, 2009, 02:16:16 PM
From my reading on OLEDs it seems that they are about 2 or 3 years away from making a decent sized Monitor.
And then poor folk like me will have to wait another 3 years for the prices to come down.
:( :( :(
eh you never know, you could be incredibly wealthy by then, and money will be no object to you ;D