who is the first man using assembly language on windows platform?

Started by vistastar, October 05, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vistastar

who is the first man using assembly language to develope windows programes on windows platform,or where did the win32 asm come from?

dedndave

i would have to guess microsoft on both questions
i wouldn't know the guys name, but he was probably working for ms

Slugsnack

if you mean first man using assembly language, then probably someone from intel. first to develop programs with winapi ? most likely the creator/s of that API during a test

2-Bit Chip

1. I would say the developers of the Windows API.

2. Win32 Assembly (MASM) was created by the Microsoft Corporation as an alternative to the assembly language.

BlackVortex

Quote from: 2-Bit Chip on October 05, 2009, 10:29:11 PM
2. Win32 Assembly (MASM) was created by the Microsoft Corporation as an alternative to the assembly language.
That is inaccurate, MASM is way older than windows.It got adapted to 32-bit programming, and the only thing missing for windows programming was some good header files.

hutch--

Easy answer, the guys who wrote the first 16 bit version of MASM for Microsoft. I have seen 16 bit MASM code for Win 3.? and it does not look that much different to the later 32 bit code as many of the API calls had similar names.

MASM 6.00 made reference to FLAT memory model, one of the few reasons I came back after 16 bit Windows is I wanted to write FLAT memory model assembler wthout the curse of Segment/offset addressing. First 32 bit Windows was an early version of NT.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

PBrennick

First 32 bit Windows was an early version of NT

Pretty close. Actually it was a scaled down version of NT with the addition of plug-n-play. The idea was to get the user market into using NT and that was the least painful approach to a huge problem. As tghe versions went by, it got to be more and more 'NT' like as was always 'the plan'.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website