News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Disassembler

Started by elegem, September 14, 2009, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elegem

What's a good disassembler? I'd like to view the code after masm compiles it and see if there are any possible final optimizations.

Slugsnack

dedndave

a debugger is what you really want - Olly
but there are also disassemblers out there - "borg disassembler" is one that i know of

redskull

You can also have ML generate you a listing (with /Fl command line option), which will produce a nice, formatted file of the final assembly, if you are only interested in looking.

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

Slugsnack

IDA Pro is also nice for static analysis but it's so, so expensive. I used it on my friend's computer over TeamViewer and it's really nice but....

NervGaz

I would agree that a debugger is essentially all you need but if you really want to use a disassembler
IDA is the way to go and yes the pro version is very expensive. However there is the freeware version
which is somewhat dated and IIRC only works on win32 PE executables. So if all you wanna do is see
what the assembly looks like it should do you fine.

elegem

Quote from: NervGaz on September 15, 2009, 03:27:56 PM
I would agree that a debugger is essentially all you need but if you really want to use a disassembler
IDA is the way to go and yes the pro version is very expensive. However there is the freeware version
which is somewhat dated and IIRC only works on win32 PE executables. So if all you wanna do is see
what the assembly looks like it should do you fine.

K thanks.

Astro

Hi,

There is a freeware version of IDA Pro available.

http://www.hex-rays.com/idapro/idadownfreeware.htm

Best regards,
Astro.