how long did it took you to understand how to make an win32 program

Started by xellos, August 10, 2009, 01:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelW

AFAIK the JVM is platform specific and it would be impractical for it to avoid the Windows API on the Windows platform.
eschew obfuscation

Slugsnack

so you reckon it detects each system and has hardcoded API functions, etc. from it ? possible i guess but bearing in mind java works on embedded systems like washing machines and stuff too.. o_O

Rockoon

Quote from: Slugsnack on August 13, 2009, 10:05:13 PM
so you reckon it detects each system and has hardcoded API functions, etc. from it ? possible i guess but bearing in mind java works on embedded systems like washing machines and stuff too.. o_O

I'm not sure that you understand how the whole thing is architected.

An enterprising individual might define a windowing library for x86 assembly language programmers, and then implement that library for both Linux32 and Win32, in each case the library would make OS-specific calls to accomplish what the library intended (create window, resize window, draw on window, etc..) ..

..with such a cross-platform library in-hand, you can now write a single program which targets both platforms, only needing a recompile on each supported platform.

Please note that Java programs are compiled at runtime, and that before you can run any Java programs you need to have both the java compiler and the java standard library (collectively its called the Java Virtual Machine) implemented and residing on your platform.
When C++ compilers can be coerced to emit rcl and rcr, I *might* consider using one.

dedndave

INVOKE  FluffAndFold,
                PERMANENT_PRESS,
                COLOR_FAST,
                LARGE_LOAD,
                ADDR Downey

i used that function in a program just last week   :bg

redskull

Quote from: dedndave on August 14, 2009, 01:37:26 AM

INVOKE  FluffAndFold,
                PERMANENT_PRESS,
                COLOR_FAST,
                LARGE_LOAD,
                ADDR Downey

i used that function in a program just last week   :bg

The 'war department' doesn't let me use that function ever since I passed it a null pointer and flooded the basement  :bg

That's no joke, either
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

dedndave

how else do you think it communicates with the OS ?
of course it uses api
and, it is multi-platform because it can be built with different lib's
that doesn't mean that a module built to run under windows can run under linux

Slugsnack

forget what i said i'm an idiot.. got confused with something else lol. they even taught us about this at school..