News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Trends at Hewlett Packard and Dell

Started by shankle, April 20, 2009, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

I visit Hewlett Packard and Dell quite often to see what they are offering.
It will be almost impossible to buy a 32 bit Puter from Hewlett Packard in the future and I guess Dell will
soon follow them.
I would guess this will spell the end for MASM32 and all the programs that you have written for MASM32.
I've heard that 32 bit programs will work on a 64 bit Puter and I have heard that they will not work.
I have heard that it is a question of drivers.
Eset SS,  Registry Mechanic and Ccleaner have a 64 bit version.
I wonder what Hutch thinks  about this?
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

jj2007

Quote from: shankle on April 20, 2009, 11:27:31 AM
I would guess this will spell the end for MASM32 and all the programs that you have written for MASM32.

Quoting a Science Fiction classic, "The Hutchhikers Guide to the Galaxy": Don't panic!

15 years after Microsoft sent Windows 3.1 to retirement, I am still successfully running a fairly complex Win 3.1 application under Vista... and if that stops working one day, VMWare will jump in to help.

evlncrn8

Quote from: shankle on April 20, 2009, 11:27:31 AM
I've heard that 32 bit programs will work on a 64 bit Puter and I have heard that they will not work.
I have heard that it is a question of drivers.

erm, nope, 32 bit programs still run on 64 bit machines... so its not the end of masm32..
and the thing about the drivers is quite simple...

32 bit drivers are not 'allowed' in 64 bit... 32 bit programs are.. with no problems... 16 bit ones are not 'allowed'
however...

hutch--

Jack,

Someone is pulling your leg, among the conditions of AMD64/Intel 64 etc ... is its capacity to run 32 bit code properly otherwise it would not have got off the ground. In a vast number of instances 32 bit code is the better choice at the moment and it will not be until there is better hardware and a superior operating system that this will change. Native pure 64 bit will be fun stuff once it gets going but until the hardware is there its usages are limited.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

shankle

Thanks all for responding.
So my conclusion to all this is: if you have no choice but to buy a 64 bit puter, do so.
32 bit programs will work. MASM32 will live on.
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress