News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

problem testing program

Started by Neil, February 19, 2009, 06:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I've just started testing my (Almost) finished program, checking for bugs etc. it runs perfectly stable on my machine & also on my wifes laptop, both running Vista32 bit. I also gave my son a copy to check out, his machine was puchased at the same time as mine with an identical spec, on his machine it is completely unstable, crashing all the time. I've checked for corrupted files etc without any joy, I've also tried to post a copy on this forum to see if it is unstable on anyone elses machine, but it gets rejected probably because there isn't enough room on the server. In the meantime if anyone has got any suuggestions why this might happen please let me hear them because I'm totally baffled  :dazzled:

PBrennick

Perhaps he as tweaked something or messed with Compatibility mode. I do not have access to a Vista machine so I am a little bit at a loss here. What is the fuction of the program, anywho?

If you cannot get the help you need, email the program to me so I can look at the code.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

donkey

Use a file sharing site to host the project then post a link, then others can test for stability on their systems or perhaps find your problem.

Haven't tried this one but they allow 5GB

http://www.4shared.com/
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

ecube

megashares is the best file host, they allows you to password protect upload, don't require a registration, is free, and they allow massive files and give you a link to delete anytime you want.

as far as the application crashing depending what it does other applications could be conflicting with it. Or perhaps you're relying on a assumed file/registry entry etc that's not there and don't do the problem error handling.

Farabi

Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2009, 06:50:36 PM
I've just started testing my (Almost) finished program, checking for bugs etc. it runs perfectly stable on my machine & also on my wifes laptop, both running Vista32 bit. I also gave my son a copy to check out, his machine was puchased at the same time as mine with an identical spec, on his machine it is completely unstable, crashing all the time. I've checked for corrupted files etc without any joy, I've also tried to post a copy on this forum to see if it is unstable on anyone elses machine, but it gets rejected probably because there isn't enough room on the server. In the meantime if anyone has got any suuggestions why this might happen please let me hear them because I'm totally baffled  :dazzled:

On which OS it is crash?
As far as I test my software on many machine, it always at memory access it cause a crash. Maybe you need to add more bytes than you need to prevent this to be happen. If it crash on vista, maybe you can try it to run it as administrator.
Those who had universe knowledges can control the world by a micro processor.
http://www.wix.com/farabio/firstpage

"Etos siperi elegi"

Neil

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think what I'll first do is give it to some of my friends & see how they get on. The only difference I can think of between my son's & my own machine is that he hasn't got masm32 installed, but I can't see that should be a problem with a standalone program. Thanks for your offer Paul , but the code is 5500 lines long & not fully commented, I'm in the process of doing that at the moment, I tend to write my programs with pen & paper & type them in later, that way I can work out screen layouts etc. beforehand.

Neil

I've tested it on 2 of my friends machines, one who lives just around the corner from me so I could see it for myself, this one is running XP Home & there is no problem. I've had had a reply from another friend running XP Professional & he has reported no problems. This still leaves me with the mystery of why it won't run on my son's machine & puts a doubt in my mind that it might happen on others. It's a pity I can't post it on this forum so that A few more (expert) users could test it.
I've seen another post where Hutch is trying to sort out the problem of server space, perhaps he'd like to comment on that.

PBrennick

Neil,
There is, and always has been a 256k limitation for each upload. this makes sense to me. If he did not have that in place, he would be swamped with bandwidth sappers.

The exe does not need to be in the attachment (usually). Everything else can usually be spread through several zips. Even though there is a 256k limitation, you can work around that by doing what I said. It is not convenient, but it is a way. There are several free sites for posting your code, why not make use of one of them? The two suggested by Donkey and E^Cube are excellent. Windows Live offers 25gb of free storage via SkyDrive. Chances are, if you use HotMail, Messenger or similar stuff from MS and partners; you already have a Windows Live ID. If you look at my crappy website, the attachments you see are NOT hosted on FreeHosting, but are on SkyDrive. They also give you those kewl links using iframe tags.

Here is an idea, help us help you.  :U

Paul

Neil

Thanks paul, the zipped up installation file is 95.5k so i don't think file size is a problem. There is a recent posting with somebody else having the same problem & hutch was looking in to it. In the meantime I have posted it on a file sharing site & am awaiting the url so I can post it on this forum.

Neil

I'm giving it one more try to post it here. If it succeeds the installation file will create a folder (Lottery) on the root of drive C.
It's a console application, it did star out as a GUI but I decided it was better suited to a console. The program is a UK lottery database program which analyses the all the prevous draws & displays numerous facts obout it. It also provides my attempt at a prediction. It's probably of greater interest to UK members of this forum, but all I'm interested in now is does it run OK.
It doesn't mess with the registry so once it's finished with just delete the folder.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Neil

It looks as though it's succeeded this time (4th try) I don't know what was wrong before.

sinsi

With windows7, it crashes all over the place.
QuoteException code: 0xc0000005, Fault offset: 0x00003e6a - view previous draws
Exception code: 0xc0000005, Fault offset: 0x000059d4 - prediction->hot numbers->left arrow
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

PBrennick

With Windows XP, HE, SP3

Main Menu 4, left arrow, crashes (right arrow seems to do nothing) - Same as Sinsi's test
Main Menu 5 crashes. - Same as Sinsi's test
Main Menu 6, 1 crashes
Main Menu 6, 2 crashes

Everything else seems stable but I did not do any persistent testing. For the above, it was not necessary. Main Menu 5 displays a continuous stream of incrementing numbers followed by a string of zeroes. When it reaches 0020004330 000000000000 (I added the space) it shoots an exception. The stream has no formatting which, I think, was not what you desired because everywhere else the formatting is excellent.

The exceptions are consistent. They just always crash.

You should post the source so we can better help you. This has the makings of a fantastic app. You have put a lot of effort into it and for a console app, it looks impressive. I hope the bugs can be worked out.

Paul

Neil

Thanks paul,
It's been 8 months of work getting this far. What I can't understand is why it crashes on some PC's & not others.
Anyway here's the source it's in 2 files Data & Code, I was going to split the code up into smaller files but decided against it.
As I said it's not all commented I've been busy today adding some, but there is still along way to go, also it's a bit gritty, a throw back to my DOS days, I'm working on that as well.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sinsi

What are ldw/stw? Trying to build it gives me syntax errors.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.