Started by Swale, January 20, 2009, 04:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swale

A Dell 32 bit with Vista.
This won't do it like it does on my older pc :
mov ah,02
mov dl,07
int 21

I tried other simple things like check date,move cursor and they still work.
Any suggestions?

BlackVortex

Vista  32 or 64 ?

A little googling got me this :
https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCW-749
QuoteYes it's 64bit Vista related problem.

Exactly the fact that 64bit Vista does not support speaker ringing same way as all other MS OS's do.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms679277(VS.85).aspx

QuoteWindows Vista x64 and Windows XP 64-Bit Edition:  This function is not supported.

Also, you can test the pc speaker device by using ctrl-G and then pressing enter in a command prompt.

Swale

locche

If you turn on the windows default in the sounds.cpl, you should hear the sound.   If you turn the sound back off for sanity's sake, it won't play in debug. However, if you compile a program or save the debug code to com and play it, you should hear the actual beep and not the cheesy windows tone. I tried this w/vista32 and windows 2000.

Swale

OK,thanks!
To clarify,if someone else has this problem:
Go to Sound-Sounds-Sound Scheme(pick anything,even No Sounds)then click Default Beep,then assign a sound to it.

I'm still confused though,the sound's coming from the external speakers,i thought it was supposed to come from the built-in one( like it does when you press Ctrl+G in Command),i thought it was a function of BIOS or something and was independent of the operating system.

locche

As far as I know, all the dos interrupts are intercepted by windows, i.e run in ring 3, so that any "interrupts" are turned into "requests" to the windows api.  I seem to remember that the 16 bit addresses require translating from windows into 32 bit, and are thus, less efficient than the standard APIs.  But funny enough, the compiled and linked version of the same code animated the pc speaker on my pc, not the windows chimes that the code run in debug achieved.

Swale

I'll have to look-up ring 3 & api,not familiar,but like you said,i made it into a program(16 bit),and sure enough it was the beep from the internal speaker(whose volume can't be adjusted with anything at hand,which is what i thought).