News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

masm32 and Ubuntu

Started by shankle, January 19, 2009, 01:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

Hope I am putting this in the right place.

I have Ubuntu installed on 1 HD and Vista installed on a 2nd HD.
Quick editor won't work on Ubuntu. I think the reason is that running things in the Root is a NONO  on Ubuntu.
But there might be other reasons that I am not aware of.
I also don't think using Wine will make any difference.
Since I plan on weaning myself from Vista I am wondering if the following is feasible.

Never again use Vista online. Compile my MASM32 programs in Vista and move the .exe files to Ubuntu.

That means I'll never need to defag in Ubuntu, won't need Eset Smart Security, won't need Registry Mechanic, won't need Ccleaner,
won't need a popup stopper, won't have to worry about a 2 way firewall.

That means I can continue to use Vista in this fashion while Windows 7, Windows 8  and Windows 9 comes out. Then I should only
have to buy the overpriced Windows operating system when I get a new Puter.
Very curious about your thoughts on this setup.
Regards,
JPS

The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

hutch--

You are out of luck Jack, the two operating systems do not share the basic API functions and are also structurally different. Wine is supposed to have got better but last I saw of it was not impressive. I would imagine that if you want to run native Unix propgrams under Ubuntu you will have to get compilers and assemblers that will work in Ubuntu.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

drhowarddrfine

Quote from: shankle on January 19, 2009, 01:01:09 PM
I think the reason is that running things in the Root is a NONO  on Ubuntu.
You can run anything as root but you shouldn't.
QuoteSince I plan on weaning myself from Vista I am wondering if the following is feasible.
You'll either need fasm or learn AS/GAS.
QuoteNever again use Vista online. Compile my MASM32 programs in Vista and move the .exe files to Ubuntu.
As hutch said, that won't work because the APIs and system calls are all different.
That means I'll never need to defag in Ubuntu, won't need Eset Smart Security, won't need Registry Mechanic, won't need Ccleaner,
won't need a popup stopper, won't have to worry about a 2 way firewall.
Yep.
That means I can continue to use Vista in this fashion while Windows 7, Windows 8  and Windows 9 comes out. Then I should only
have to buy the overpriced Windows operating system when I get a new Puter.
You'll quickly find you never switch to Vista.  You may also find you never buy a new computer because Windows users will give you their "old" computer every 2-3 years as they "upgrade" to a new Windows OS.  I have not bought a new computer since 2001.

shankle

I thank you for your replies.
My God is that discouraging.
But you are the experts and I value your opinions.

Looks like I have a couple of bad options.
1. use Ubuntu for all email and online browsing.
   No email or browsing the web in Windows. Keep web usage to an absolute minimum on Vista.
2. keep on using MASM32.
3. learn fasm and convert all my programs. (lord what a task that would be.)
4. jump over a high cliff.

I've been hassled by one thing or the other in this field. I started out with the IBM main frame Assembler.
Then my bosses (in the infinite wisdom) decided I had to write in Cobol. God what a horrible language.
Then MRRRRRR Gates (after I bought his masm assembler for PCs) obsoleted it.
probably #4 is my best solution.

A disgruntled programmer

Tedd

Ubuntu is Linux, not Windows - they're not compatible, at all.
However, for most programs you write (probably, all), they will run in Wine. I'd expect masm will work in wine too, but I haven't tried it, and we can guess what the license says about that :P
And while it should work, do you really want to work this way? Writing programs for one system, but running them entirely under another.. It might be worth jumping in feet first and learning the weird ways of Linux asm, and use Wine for compatibility during the 'transition.' There are a few nice linux assemblers to choose from: specifically: nasm and fasm (and others..) and I'm pretty sure they both have enough extra include files and support macros to make it a little nicer.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

Mark Jones

JWASM comes in a linux flavor... still a learning curve, but may be significantly more familiar than GAS:

http://www.japheth.de/JWasm.html
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

drhowarddrfine

Quote from: shankle on January 19, 2009, 03:24:14 PM
Looks like I have a couple of bad options.
1. use Ubuntu for all email and online browsing.
   No email or browsing the web in Windows. Keep web usage to an absolute minimum on Vista.
It's no different in Ubuntu so what's the problem with that?

drhowarddrfine

Quote from: Tedd on January 19, 2009, 03:38:12 PM
It might be worth jumping in feet first and learning the weird ways of Linux asm
You can set GAS to use Intel syntax so it's no different than Windows asm, but I have no issues with using ATT syntax at all.  Different does not make it weird.

shankle

I would think that online usage and email in Ubuntu would be more secure than Vista.
Am I wrong?

drhowarddrfine

Quote from: shankle on January 19, 2009, 05:32:34 PM
I would think that online usage and email in Ubuntu would be more secure than Vista.
Am I wrong?
No you're not wrong.  Running in 'nix is far more secure than Vista.

hutch--

Jack,

There is nothing wrong with doing your browsing, email and other net based interface stuff in Ubuntu and doing other things in Windows. While Vista appears to be a nightmare, XP, Win2000 and the earlier win9x versions all run OK so you can run any one of them to do your more familiar stuff.

You could develop for Linux but you would have to start from scratch and it may be more work than you want to do. One thing you can do is set up a Samba server in Ubuntu so that you can access the Linux box from Windows through TCP/IP so you pick up the speed of Windows without the irritations of SUDO in Ubuntu.

The last Ubuntu box I set up after wasting a day or two finding all of the reference material ended up being a very fast web server on my local network. I use a 1 gigabit hub and all of the boxes attached to it have 1 gigabit network cards built in and the Apache server, PHP and MySql databases ran like rockets. It was actually a peasure to find something that a Linux box could do well.  :bg
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

locche

I hope not to insult anyone here, as this is a masm forum, but the situation sounded pretty desperate:  If you can get hold of TASM 5, it will run on Linux. I'm running Redhat 8,  which is about 7 yrs old.  Frankly, the situation can only have improved. The wine server is from 2002,  and I also have dosbox 0.72.  When I program on Linux, which isn't often, since I naturally prefer masm32, i edit and compile the texts using dosbox, because wine tends to choke on tlink32, and other command line tools.  It is rather tedious, because tasm has not been maintained, but you can program windows executables on your linux machine with the above mentioned gear.
On the bright side, it's a chance to dig up one of those all but forgotten dos editors.  I hope this helps.

BlackVortex

Never before have I seen tasm (!) ,an ancient red hat version, dosbox and wine in one post. Did you grow up in a circus ?  j/k   :cheekygreen:

If you want to program windows apps on linux, use jwasm, it has the masm syntax.

Mark Jones

Well in all fairness BV, JWASM is only a few months old. :U
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

japheth

DosEmu is also worth a try - at least if you know what DOS is. Once it is installed, one can use HXRT to run Win32 console apps (Masm, Tasm, JWasm) in Linux. Runs faster than in DosBox, and is less complicated than Wine.