News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Checking webcam

Started by Farabi, December 17, 2008, 02:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabi

How to check if webcam is beeing used by application?
Those who had universe knowledges can control the world by a micro processor.
http://www.wix.com/farabio/firstpage

"Etos siperi elegi"

vanjast

If I'm not mistaken, a webcam is a 'self contained website', an embedded 'web-aware' system.
Sooo, If you know the webcam's IP addy and/or port no. , you can monitor these on your local PC, but for remote stuff..
You must have control of the webcam, that can report to your PC, or program the webcam yourself.

:U

Farabi

Quote from: vanjast on December 22, 2008, 09:06:01 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a webcam is a 'self contained website', an embedded 'web-aware' system.
Sooo, If you know the webcam's IP addy and/or port no. , you can monitor these on your local PC, but for remote stuff..
You must have control of the webcam, that can report to your PC, or program the webcam yourself.

:U

No, Im not going to spy on people. What I mean with webcam is a tiny camera placed above the laptop monitor.
My camera didnot have a light to sign if it was accessed by software. Im afraid If some malicious sofware access it when Im connected to the net.

"Etos siperi elegi"

dsouza123

Some USB webcams have a light/led that turns on when it is active.
If yours doesn't there may be some way to detect if the webcam is in use
and change the icon of a system tray program.

A very simple low tech method is to use tinfoil and shape it into a webcam cover,
then even if somehow the webcam is activated nothing will be seen while it is covered.

There is a fasm webcam example with source fasmcam.zip on the flatassembler.net site,
maybe there is something in the source that will provide a lead for detecting
the use of the webcam.

redskull

There are USB packet sniffers, which you can install locally to monitor all incoming and outgoing traffic on the bus.  Though traffic from the webcam to the host may not be 99% gaurenteed to be video (it might have overhead traffic or something), you can probably figure it out with a little trial and error.  Also, if you have more than one device on the bus, you would have to monitor for the particular device ID, and such.  Or do it old school, cut the thing open, and wire a switch in-line with the power cable; then you're 100% sure!

-ac
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

Siekmanski

Hello Farabi

Here is my webcam proggy
There is no check if the cam is already in use, sorry...
You can start from there

Siekmanski

[attachment deleted by admin]

vanjast

OK, Sorry I got the 'wrong end of the stick'.

To monitor the laptop webcam, I'd imagine you have to break into the cam driver. Maybe the the laptop manufacturer can provide you with an SDK to do this. If all else fails make a 'zap sign' pic and place it in front of the cam when you're not using it -  :U.

You could also get a TDI monitor, to monitor your 'networkings' and if you see some suspicious, block it in your firewall.
I have my modem in front of me, and when I see lights flashing when I'm not assessing the net.... A quick TDI mon gives me some basic info which is usually enough.
:8)

Tedd

Not that I've tried it, but I would assume that any program using the webcam will get exclusive access - meaning that any other program trying to use it while it's in use will get some kind of "in-use" value returned (or simply won't be able to get access.)
So, simply write a program that grabs the webcam and holds onto it, so no others can. Then give it an enable/disable toggle, so you can use the webcam when you choose. Alternatively, have it check periodically if it's able to get access to the webcam (and immediately release it) and report appropriately.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

Farabi

Quote from: redskull on December 24, 2008, 02:40:46 PM
There are USB packet sniffers, which you can install locally to monitor all incoming and outgoing traffic on the bus.  Though traffic from the webcam to the host may not be 99% gaurenteed to be video (it might have overhead traffic or something), you can probably figure it out with a little trial and error.  Also, if you have more than one device on the bus, you would have to monitor for the particular device ID, and such.  Or do it old school, cut the thing open, and wire a switch in-line with the power cable; then you're 100% sure!

-ac

[edit]

"Etos siperi elegi"

MichaelW

How about just putting a piece of black PVC tape over the lens?
eschew obfuscation

Farabi

Quote from: MichaelW on December 28, 2008, 05:27:10 AM
How about just putting a piece of black PVC tape over the lens?
I guess that is the easiest solution.

"Etos siperi elegi"

zooba

Or disable the device in Device Manager. Web applications can't change these settings.

Cheers,

Zooba :U