Unable to install Beta j of MASM32 Ver 10 on new computer!

Started by farrier, October 20, 2008, 04:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farrier

Just bought a new Core 2 Duo win Vista 64 notebook, and all I say is I don't hate Vista as much as I used to; but I still hate it.

The past few days, I've been installing all my needed software, but when it came to MASM32---no joy!  When I start the install on either the stable ver 10 or the beta j version, within a few seconds I get a messagebox with:

title: Disk IO Problem

text: Archive File Not Written To Disk

button: OK

I tried all the obvious things: disabled anti-virus, ran as admin, ... no good

After scratching and bitching for a while,  I tried to create the c:\masm32 folder to help the install program along.  I was unable to do this.  "You need permission to perform this action" , or access denied at the command prompt.  I tried to imagine who I could get permission from, but as I am the administrator, I don't think I need permission.

I checked the security settings, and I had full rights to the root of drive C: but the owner was listed as TrustedInstaller.  I looked into what the TrustedInstaller was, and found it is a service used by the windows installer programs.  I had just installed a commercial program that created a folder off of the C:  root, so I know it can be done.  I just can't figure out why I can't do it manually, and why the MASM32 install program can't do it.

And help or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

farrier
It is a GOOD day to code!
Some assembly required!
ASM me!
With every mistake, we must surely be learning. (George...Bush)

MichaelW

What happens if you right-click the MASM32 install.exe and select "Run as administrator"? While investigating this I found a statement to the effect that Vista requires all users to operate in standard user mode, so even though you are an administrator you may not have full administrator rights.
eschew obfuscation

farrier

MichaelW.

Tried it every way you can think of.  Standard user, standard user with "run as administrator",  my standard Install and Update only administrator account, even activated the "Administrator" account.  No joy!  Turned off ACL, turned off anti-virus.  From command prompt I can't MD a directory from the root, though I can MD, rename. RD anywhere but root; also I can do anything I want to do from Explorer, just not to the root.

Has anyone successfully run the Install program in Win Vista 64?  Or just modified the root directory?

Or is it just my machine.  Has anyone had any experience with a windows installer script.  I'd like to try anything.

Thanks,

farrier
Some assembly required!
ASM me!

MichaelW

This is related to sharing the root directory, but the same technique might work for what you are trying to do:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista/1150420293
eschew obfuscation

farrier

MichaelW,

Did not have any effect.  Still the same roadblock.

Thanks for trying,

farrier

annoyances indeed!
Some assembly required!
ASM me!

hutch--

At the risk of making an impossible sugestion, did you do the installation or was it a pre-installed on the box number. If it came installed the suggestion was to clean it out and install it yourself to make sure it performed the way you wanted. I have seen problems with both XP and Vista as it is installed commercially where both run masm32 when installed properly.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Xacker

Probably might not help, have you tried to extract the archive using something like WinRar, then initiate building the libraries manually?

farrier

hutch--,

Vista came preinstalled with all the other crap!  I'm gonna suffer thru this investigation for a while, then set charges and blow Vista out of the hard disk.  Upgrade to XP.  I've changed my mind again: I really hate Vista.

Xacker,

That's my next step, with 7-Zip.  Thanks for the suggestion.

The more I look into this, I think it's my machine, or my body's unstable electrical field. :red

farrier
Some assembly required!
ASM me!

jj2007

Is a drive D: available? Sometimes restrictions are softer for a non-C: drive (I wonder whether it would install on a USB stick)

farrier

jj2007,

Excellent!

I'm up and MASM'ing, but still trying understand my basic access problem with my root :bg

farrier
Some assembly required!
ASM me!

hutch--

thanks for letting us know, its probably some crappy security setting that the installer put there for non technical users so that they could not access the root on the boot drive.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php