News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

'access is denied' msg from editor

Started by johnmonterey, September 14, 2008, 08:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnmonterey

first time assemble/link attempt got me an 'access is denied' error.  i copied one of the simple examples and.  by the way, just starting on ms assemble...i know IBM ASSEMBLER very well and gotta say IBM's is simple compared to MS's.

johnmonterey

more re just posted post...copied simple example from MASM folder and put it into editor and got the 'access is denied' error when tried to assemble. (this sentence got truncated in original post).
...johnmonterey...

Mark Jones

Hi John, welcome to the forum. :U

People here are always happy to help. To clarify your exact problem, may I ask:
* Did you install the latest MASM32 package v10, available from http://masm32.com/ ?
* Does this PC meet the minimum requirements? (Win2k or later, not installed on a network drive, etc.)
* Did you place the \masm32\bin folder in the PATH? (Not neccessary, but generally a good idea...)
* When you say "editor," do you mean QEDITOR.EXE?
* Is the code that you are trying to assemble 16-bit DOS code, or 32-bit Windows code?

The error message you are getting could be many different things. To set a baseline for correct installation, what you should be able to do is simply navigate to C:\MASM32\ (assuming the default install settings) and execute QEDITOR.EXE (or double-click on the "MASM32 Editor" icon if you chose to run the vbscript after installation) to bring up the default editor, QEdit. From QEditor's Code menu, choose "Create New Console Application", followed by choosing an empty folder and supplying a filename (no extension.) Next, select that file and open it. Some short code should be visible in the editor. Now go to the Project menu and choose "Console Assemble And Link," and a console window should pop up as the code is assembled and linked. In that console window, an assembled .exe file should be visible. This file should be runnable, and will display the familiar "Hello World!" text.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08