News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Machine specific data?

Started by dmh, March 08, 2005, 06:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmh

Hello, I'm trying for the first time to secure my program with a name / key protection scheme. Problem is, I don't know of any machine specific data to create the key from, any ideas?

Candy

the MAC address of the built-in NIC of course. But, it does lock your program to this specific instance of the computer, do you really want that? as in, if the mainboard is trashed should the data be lost?

dmh

Ah! That's a good idea, but it'd leave the modem users out. After some searching, I guess there is some hard drive volume name, or some set of GUIDs unique to windows installations which would be keen to use. I'll look into this more when I have time.

Ghirai

HD serial number is pretty common, you could use that.
MASM32 Project/RadASM mirror - http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html

Candy

If you want to be user-friendly and secure at the same time, which doesn't work for site licenses btw, use the windows key. It's possible to retrieve it, although I don't know exactly how. That'd limit it to a given key, and there's this big company Microsoft protecting those keys. You might have a problem with computers that aren't being updated, but it's an idea...

roticv

What about those ppl that all use the same CD key because they don't own original copies ofwindows XP?  :green2

Candy

Quote from: roticv on March 09, 2005, 12:30:08 PM
What about those ppl that all use the same CD key because they don't own original copies ofwindows XP?  :green2
They are exactly those that aren't being updated, because Microsoft kicks those keys out. Excluding leaked corporate keys, but I don't think that's happened yet (and my memory explicitly deleted the one from my previous employer).

For normal human computers it's ok. For all others you need a key checking infrastructure such as Windows'.

P1

I buy MOLP licenses and I get only one Key per group.  So in the end, M$ does not help with their COA key.

Regards,  P1  :8)

pbrennick

P1,
Actually, even though they all have the same key, it is uniquely encrypted by each machine.  I would use the encrypted value.  Mine is 55277-OEM-0011903-00110, for instance.

Paul

dmh

Ah , great idea! Off to msdn I go.