News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

MASM 6.1.5.

Started by ajm0528, August 17, 2008, 10:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm0528

I finally found a download for Microsoft's Macro Assembler (not the entire MASM32 thing that was virus ridden when i downloaded it recently) and it's already patched to v6.1.5. How do I use it now?  :green I know it's operated via command line but I couldn't get anything to work. What do I need to do? Also, will an IDE such as WinAsm Studio be compatable with this? Can anyone recommend tutorials so I can learn Assembly using this MASM I have downloaded (other than the Win32 stuff that's always mentioned)?

I noticed in the downloaded files that the INCLUDE folder had maybe one or to files in there, same with the LIB folder. Are there any extra library files I can download to build up the library?

Thanks a bunch.

Vortex

Quotenot the entire MASM32 thing that was virus ridden when i downloaded it recently

I guess you should be more careful with your statements. The Masm32 package is tested on a lot of computers and it does not contain any malicious code. Some AV softwares can emit false positive alarms. This was the problem. The heuristics engine of your AV software identified incorrectly some assembly applications in the installation package as malware.

hutch--

hmmmm,

> (not the entire MASM32 thing that was virus ridden when i downloaded it recently)

The problem is in your crappy AV scanner. Look in the masm32 subforum for others who have had similar problems. Over the 10 years the masm32 project has been going, it has never contained a virus.

RE: ML 6.15, if you own VC6 get the processor pack from the forum web site.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

jj2007

ajm0528, I can only echo what Vortex and Hutch wrote earlier: Be a bit more modest with your bold statements. Read this:
A signature update to Symantec Corp.'s antivirus software crippled thousands of Chinese PCs Friday when the security software mistook two critical Windows .dll files for malware.

According to numerous blog entries from Chinese computer users, a virus-signature database seeded yesterday mistook two system files of a Chinese edition of Windows XP Service Pack 2 as a Trojan horse that Symantec dubbed "Backdoor.Haxdoor." The antivirus software -- Norton AntiVirus, for example, or the antivirus component of the Norton 360 or Norton Internet Security suites -- then quarantined the netapi32.dll and lsasrv.dll files.
Strangely enough, there seems not yet any website where you could denounce AV companies for such crappy behaviour. They are damaging the business of honest people, and don't even apologise.

Mark Jones

Quote from: ajm0528 on August 17, 2008, 10:22:03 AM
I noticed in the [other] downloaded files that the INCLUDE folder had maybe one or to files in there, same with the LIB folder. Are there any extra library files I can download to build up the library?

Not as part of the MASM32 project, as the project is only distributed as a whole... although Japeth has converted the PSDK data into a similar set of libraries (which are not part of the MASM32 project.)

The MASM32 package supplies "the libraries" (which make MASM.EXE useful as a programming language), thanks to decades of effort from Hutch and hundreds of others here. (MASM.EXE is useless without libraries, as you have noticed.)

As for where to start this long journey ahead of you, I suggest starting with this tutorial. Then head over to Iczelion's Tuts.

Oh, and Win32 assembly is easier to learn than 16-bit assembly... that's probably why you keep seeing it. Still, if you insist on learning DOS programming, ask to have this thread moved to the DOS forum, where it would be more appropriately addressed.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

ajm0528

Quote from: hutch-- on August 17, 2008, 10:35:05 AM
hmmmm,

> (not the entire MASM32 thing that was virus ridden when i downloaded it recently)

The problem is in your crappy AV scanner. Look in the masm32 subforum for others who have had similar problems. Over the 10 years the masm32 project has been going, it has never contained a virus.

RE: ML 6.15, if you own VC6 get the processor pack from the forum web site.

My apologies, Hutch. I wasn't aware of that. I'll check the other forum now. Again, i'm sorry for that statement. I shoulda asked around first.

hutch--

ajm0528,

Something you can help us with, what was the AV scanner you were using and what was the fals positive it delivered if you remebmer ? The more information we can get, the less people are mislead with their errors.

ajm0528

Quote from: hutch-- on August 17, 2008, 09:46:10 PM
ajm0528,

Something you can help us with, what was the AV scanner you were using and what was the fals positive it delivered if you remebmer ? The more information we can get, the less people are mislead with their errors.

I was using AVG. Then AVG had a problem and I had to reinstall it. Then their update server was down so i thought I had virii but no way to dispose of them. I downloaded Avira and it picked up the same things so i just quarantined them.

jj2007

Quote from: Mark Jones on August 17, 2008, 08:02:28 PM
As for where to start this long journey ahead of you, I suggest starting with this tutorial.
Sponsored link: "Do you Need a Dominant Woman who can Humiliate you? Then read this"

Mark, you should humbly read your suggested links before posting themĀ  :wink

ajm0528

Quote from: jj2007 on August 17, 2008, 10:47:07 PM
Quote from: Mark Jones on August 17, 2008, 08:02:28 PM
As for where to start this long journey ahead of you, I suggest starting with this tutorial.
Sponsored link: "Do you Need a Dominant Woman who can Humiliate you? Then read this"

Mark, you should humbly read your suggested links before posting them  :wink

I'm glad somebody else caught that. I didn't know if it was just a smart ass comment or a mistake.

jj2007

Quote from: ajm0528 on August 17, 2008, 10:54:02 PM
I'm glad somebody else caught that. I didn't know if it was just a smart ass comment or a mistake.
Mark's intentions to put you on the path of humility were pretty serious (this is a serious forum full of sm... pardon: brilliant serious people). The mistake was on the side of the linked site. Most probably they did not realise what kind of un-humble actresses are sponsoring their site. By the way, if you go to that site and don't find the humiliating lady waiting for you, try again: These "sponsoring" links change all the time.

ajm0528

Quote from: jj2007 on August 17, 2008, 11:06:22 PM
Quote from: ajm0528 on August 17, 2008, 10:54:02 PM
Mark's intentions to put you on the path of humility were pretty serious (this is a serious forum full of sm... pardon: brilliant serious people). The mistake was on the side of the linked site. Most probably they did not realise what kind of un-humble actresses are sponsoring their site. By the way, if you go to that site and don't find the humiliating lady waiting for you, try again: These "sponsoring" links change all the time.

Treat a noob like crap, that's good..... ::)

MichaelW

QuoteTreat a noob like crap, that's good.....

No one is treating you like crap. Even though you obviously don't have your facts straight, your flat statement that MASM32 is virus ridden was guaranteed to generate adverse reactions. As Vortex pointed out, you should be more careful with such statements.
eschew obfuscation

ajm0528

Quote from: MichaelW on August 18, 2008, 03:55:44 AM
QuoteTreat a noob like crap, that's good.....

No one is treating you like crap. Even though you obviously don't have your facts straight, your flat statement that MASM32 is virus ridden was guaranteed to generate adverse reactions. As Vortex pointed out, you should be more careful with such statements.

I understand. I was a little frustrated when i posted that and I screwed up. Sorry everyone.

hutch--

ajm0528,

Thanks for the info on the AV scanners you had problems with, I can safely put them on the sh*t list until they bother to fix them.