masmforum WebSite

how to write a simple firewall with masm

Started by NULL, July 27, 2008, 01:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NULL

hello, :bg
i am here and i hope i find what i am looking for.  :bg
my question is : how can i write a simple firewall in masm with these features:
-monitor network trafic (internet / local LAN /...)
-block unwanted web sites and other network resources .(the user define rules for this )
thank you.

PBrennick

Very funny. Evidently you do not reslize the magnitude of such a project. Have you ever programmed in assembly before?b And if so, have you made any inroads into such a project?

-- Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

Vortex

Hi NULL,

Welcome to the forum.

Quote-monitor network trafic (internet / local LAN /...)
-block unwanted web sites and other network resources .(the user define rules for this )

This is not an easy task. What you need is something like ISA Server 2004 \ 2006 to provide services like monitoring the network traffic and firewall rules.

NULL

Quote from: Vortex on July 27, 2008, 07:05:24 PM
This is not an easy task. What you need is something like ISA Server 2004 \ 2006 to provide services like monitoring the network traffic and firewall rules.

what about hooking API of network functions ? is it possible ?

NULL

Quote from: PBrennick on July 27, 2008, 07:01:00 PM
Very funny. Evidently you do not reslize the magnitude of such a project. Have you ever programmed in assembly before?b And if so, have you made any inroads into such a project?

-- Paul

hi paul,
yes i know it is a big project.
and about your question if i programmed in assembly befor !!!! yes i have programmed masm before, and i am interested in COM programming , and network applications and i wrote some simple programs like SMTP client and masm32 IDE .

NULL

Vortex , what about hooking winsock functions ? is it possible in this case (ie, firewall) ?

Vortex

First of all, which kind of application you would like to create? Something like ZoneAlarm or ISA serving a network?

NULL

Quote from: Vortex on July 27, 2008, 09:01:46 PM
First of all, which kind of application you would like to create? Something like ZoneAlarm or ISA serving a network?

for example, an application that blocks adult sites.

hutch--

Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

vanjast

Quote from: hutch-- on July 28, 2008, 02:43:34 AM
Sounds like an NDIS packet snifer.
Can net cards still be set to 'whore' mode (promiscuous mode). I thought the manufacturers had disabled this feature, and is only available on special request ?
:8)

dsouza123

A very primitive site blocker is possible with a program that updates the hosts. file
with added lines
127.0.0.1 sitetoblock.com
127.0.0.1 anothersitetoblock.com