News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Ubuntu now resides on my Puter

Started by shankle, May 26, 2008, 03:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

It was a hastle but now I have W Vista, Ubuntu and another Windows.
The problem I had was to many primary partitions so I deleted the
Windows Recovery Partition.
Before Ubuntu I had a program that controlled the partition process called
System Commander. That has disappeared and now GRUB seems to
control the partition selection process.

I have a problem with GRUB. I want to change the names of two partitions.
      Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
I've been on the Ubuntu forum but the answers I got didn't work.

Also Ubuntu uses Firefox. I would like to uninstall it and replace it with K-Meleon.
Thanks for your thoughts,
JPS
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

hutch--

jack,

As far as I know K-MELEON only runs on Windows, I would leave Firefox in Ubuntu as from memory it works well in Linux.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Tedd

I'm guessing when you say you want to change the names of the partitions, what you actually mean is you want to change the names that appear in the grub boot menu..?

- open a terminal
- type sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
- enter your password (authentication for modifying system files)
- {you should now be editing a text file containing the settings for grub - be careful what you fiddle with :wink}
- scroll down to the bottom for the 'other' boot menu entries (starts after the line ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST)
- the boot menu entries get their names from the 'title' lines, e.g. "title           Windows XP Professional" -- modify as you want
- press ctrl+X to exit - you'll be asked whether to save the changes (press 'y' to save, or 'n' to not)
- all done :bg

K-Meleon is windows only, so you'll have fun trying to get it to work :bdg
Although I suppose you might be able to run it through Wine - but since the idea is probably to have a fast light browser, that largely defeats the point.
Firefox works fine... an alternative browser you could try is Galeon, though I can't comment how good it is.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

shankle

Thanks Hutch and Tedd for your replies.

I played with Ubuntu for awhile and finally decided it was not worth the effort that would be
needed to become proficient in it. I also don't like a program taking over functions that I
have other programs doing. Grub just takes over the Puter. I use System Commander
to control partitions, moving, resizing , MBR etc.

I only bought Vista because I had to get a new Puter. I'm not in love with it but with the
proper Security control I have almost no problems with it. I don't like some of the features
but the programmers at Microsoft have to do something to justify earning their keep.
IBM had a philosophy that I just Hated. "If it works change it". With IBM I had my nose
in a manual for over 25 years just trying to keep up with the changes.
Gods know what Microsoft will do to us with the next one.....

The greatest crime in my country is our Congress