News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Settings to use VS6 for debuging MASM

Started by Teloboy, May 17, 2008, 10:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teloboy

A long time ago someone managed to get VS6 configured to be able to single step and compile with MASM. I have done alot of searching if google etc., and can't find the settings, just wondering if anyone still has them somewhere.

Thanks

GregL

The following describes how to set up a Makefile project:

32bit Assembly Quick Start using Visual Studio and MASM on Windows

You can also set up a custom build:

Using MASM to Assemble .asm Files

Teloboy

Thanks for the quick response. that sort of helps but didn't work so well for me in the examples shown - 'cmain couldn't link to masm.asm'. However, I seem to remember that you didn't have to have a cmain app before, I thought that there were just custom settings in the workspace and that was it.

Any other idea's or should i forget using VS6 and maybe try and get VS 200x express ? The other way I have tried but not getting very good success was using ollydbg with RadASM but can't seem to get ollydbg to use the symbols from MASM - (maybe that's a question I should put into the RadASM forum).

Thanks in advance.

GregL

Teloboy,

Visual Studio 6.0 will work fine if you get it set up right. You don't need to use cmain, just use main. Is your code C or C++? If your code is C++ you need to use extern "C" with the declaration of the MASM procedure in your C++ code. If your code is C you don't use extern "C".

Have you looked through the Assembler With Microsoft Visual C sub-forum?

Teloboy

Greg,

Sorry, I didn't make things very clear, I wanted to use VS6 to debug MASM, without any C,C++. I had a look at that link you sent and someone has provided a method of using VC 2005 Express, but  doesn't go into the custom settings that I could try for VC6.

GregL

Teloboy,

Sorry, I saw " ... and compile with MASM".

If you just want to debug an exe, just load the exe (debug build) into Visual Studio. You can also use the command-line like this:

msdev filename.exe