MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

A newbie story and need help.

Started by benji, March 10, 2008, 03:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

Benji,

I must agree, don't bother with 16-bit. Unless you have to. 

benji

Hai everyone,....

I'm back..... to share what have i done in studying assembly and also ask (maybe) anoying questions....  :green2

Until now i have try iczelion's tutorial, and now i'm on chapter 8.
Just FYI,..... i memorized all the code from chapter 1 to 7.  :lol  (Don't ask me why, i just do it for fun)

And i understand most of it, but i have to open Win API alotttttttttttttt.............

And this tutorial is all about Windows programming, how to make window, how to call API function, etc.
It needs alot of code to make a GUI, just like when i code using JAVA for the first time.

Just curious, if this is Win32 assembly all about,...... i wonder how 16bit app look like, can anybody tell me? can it make window and button also?
In 32bit, it tooks alot of code just to make 1 window without any other component on it, i wonder how 16bit app works on this thing.
So,.. besides the speed factor of assembly, isn't it easier to code using vb6 , java, or other programming language.
Like C, it can access "system" better than VB6 and Java, you can use it for Linux and Windows.  From the theory that i read, assembly is "attach" to the processor (or system if i may say), so by my own interpretation..... i can use this assembly in Linux to because it's not OS dependent, it's processor dependent. Am i right?
And is there anybody out there that use assembly for linux?

And i also try 16bit, so right now i code using 16bit and also 32 bit, and in my opinion 16bit makes me understand about "computer architecture & organization" better that 32 (in my opinion).
And, i have one interesting experience...... i can make my computer "crash"  :cheekygreen:  don't know why but i like it and it make me want to try more...... But just like hutch and others say, 16bit have alot of limitation. It's annoying.....

So,....how powerful is this assembly? Is there somebody today that use this assembly for professional programming (just like JAVA, VB6) ? can assembly do what java and vb6 are capable of?

Either way,.... i started to like this assembly, i will finish iczelion tutorial......
Then we'll see......

Benji

Draakie

Hi Benji,

Welcome to a great and fruitfull journey. In answer to some of your questions.

QuoteJust curious, if this is Win32 assembly all about,...... i wonder how 16bit app look like, can anybody tell me?
See the 16-bit forum  :U

QuoteSo,.. besides the speed factor of assembly, isn't it easier to code using vb6 , java, or other programming language.
Yes it is easier to program in other languages...if you consider the old pseudo syntax forms that were hammered into
all of us when we started out.....but isn't as rewarding in the end result, besides assembler's generally have macro definitions
that allow the same higher level form while you are still starting out.

Quote..... i can use this assembly in Linux to because it's not OS dependent, it's processor dependent. Am i right?
Yup :P

Quoteso right now i code using 16bit and also 32 bit, and in my opinion 16bit makes me understand about "computer architecture & organization" better that 32 (in my opinion).
Not sure I understand what you mean....it shouldn't make much of any difference when looking
at architecture etc. Please note modern (after win98) Windows assemblies are all 32-bit - unless you are writing for 64-bit.

Quote...... i can make my computer "crash"    don't know why but i like it and it make me want to try more......
Looks like you have the right attitude. :lol

QuoteSo,....how powerful is this assembly? Is there somebody today that use this assembly for professional programming (just like JAVA, VB6) ? can assembly do what java and vb6 are capable of?
More powerfull than anything. :8) And that ain't no joke. You can Rapidly manufacture applications in assembler via Visual IDE's
like RADASM and using code libs - just like you would have done in VB or JAVA or C++ or whatever. <<--- ALLOT of newbie
assembler coders don't seem get this fact for some reason.

Keep well
Draakie

Does this code make me look bloated ? (wink)

jj2007

Quote from: benji on March 17, 2008, 03:30:32 AM
i wonder how 16bit app look like, can anybody tell me? can it make window and button also?
Try this 16bit app: http://esl.jrc.it/envind/dashbrds.htm
(the source is 550k including 1% comments)