News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Next mess from Microsoft

Started by shankle, January 21, 2008, 12:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

I hear it's going to be called "Vienna".
I don't understand what else they were talking about but
it can't be good for me.
Your Thoughts
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

zooba

It's good for me.

Bye bye all plans for upgrading to Vista, ever.

There is an (AFAICT unofficial) news site at http://www.windowsvienna.com/, on which there are a few suggestions that there will be some breaks with the past here. If Microsoft do indeed finally break away from some of the Windows 3.1 crap still laying around it will be great (though I expect to see some form of Vista virtualisation shipped with it for older apps).

Cheers,

Zooba :U

GregL

Vista is not that bad. Most applications that had problems have come out with Vista versions. Device Drivers are now available for just about everything too. I did have some problems at first, but they are all pretty much ironed out now. I think there is a lot of negative hype about Vista.

zooba

I never said there was anything wrong with Vista, apart from it would cost me too much due to needing a computer upgrade to run it properly. And there's no way I'd settle for anything less than the Ultimate edition. The investment just isn't worth it for me.

Cheers,

Zooba :U

drhowarddrfine

I have not bought a new computer since 2001 because people keep giving me their "old" computer as they upgrade to XP, and now Vista.  Thank you very much.  I run FreeBSD.

shankle

I looked into Freebds, Ubuntu etc. and found that it would involve a rewrite
of all my programs. A daunting task. Even more important is the percentage of
people using Windows xxx versus the others. It would seem that one has to stay with
the mainstream. I realize the need to get away from windows but I seem to be trapped
with it. :(
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

GregL

Quote from: ZoobaI never said there was anything wrong with Vista, apart from it would cost me too much due to needing a computer upgrade to run it properly.

Zooba,

Sorry, I'm just really getting tired of people bashing Vista.

It is expensive, and you are right, buying a new PC with Vista on it is the only way to go, upgrading to Vista is not a good idea.

I think Microsoft could have done a better job on it, especially regarding compatibility. But like I said, it's pretty much all ironed out now, at least for me.

The only thing I have left to do is rewrite some programs that used the Mixer API. The audio system in Vista was entirely re-written, it's called the Core Audio API now. The old Mixer API functions don't work at all.  :tdown 

zooba

Quote from: Greg on January 23, 2008, 05:58:58 AM
The only thing I have left to do is rewrite some programs that used the Mixer API. The audio system in Vista was entirely re-written, it's called the Core Audio API now. The old Mixer API functions don't work at all.  :tdown 

I was sure I read some blog posts by Larry Ostermann explaining some compatibility issues they ran into with that - dropping support for a set of APIs is very unlike Microsoft (no matter how much the APIs deserve to be dropped).

GregL

Zooba,

Yeah, I'm familiar with his blog. There is a lot of information there about the Vista audio system. At this point you have to test for Vista and use the Core Audio API if it is Vista and the Mixer API if it is not. The Mixer API was cumbersome to work with but the Core Audio API has a COM interface and is harder to work with if you ask me.

AkinforASM

Quote from: zooba on January 21, 2008, 01:24:54 AM
And there's no way I'd settle for anything less than the Ultimate edition. The investment just isn't worth it for me.

Agreed. Even having a version which is capable of receiving FAX MESSAGES (which is a must for any business) is extremely expensive. And they overcharge and whine about being pirated.  ::)

Whenever I have purchased a new computer, I immediately formatted hardrive and installed my good priced (and of course licenced) Windows XP professional.

Regards.

Mark Jones

All I have to say about vista is...

[attachment deleted by admin]
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

jj2007

Quote from: Mark Jones on February 24, 2008, 09:24:47 PM
All I have to say about vista is...

Yep, you say it clearly! What's missing is a big fat "Attention, logarithmic scale!"  :toothy

I am currently struggling with RichEdit, a "tool" that the Operating System provides for letting the user work with formatted text. RichEd20.dll weighs in at 420k, or in Vista units (i.e. as % of the 15 Giga it occupies on disk): 0.42*100/15000=0.0028% of the OS. If that is difficult to grasp, turn it round: If RichEd is a typical tool, then there must be around 15000/0.42=36,000 similar tools available to the user. If they are all as buggy and crappy as RichEd, then good night Microsoft - apparently they have lost control of their pile of code a long time ago.