News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Scintilla first draft

Started by donkey, December 08, 2007, 07:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkey

This is my first shot at translating the demo for Scintilla, a custom control lexer that can be used to create IDE's. There are some advantages to Scintilla, it can handle UTF-8 documents so assembling a UNICODE application in GoAsm is simpler than with a normal ansi editor. It is reconfigurable and commands can be sent directly to the control bypassing the SendMessage API if you need more speed. I doubt that I will write a replacement for Ketil's RadASM as it is IMO simply the best ASM IDE I have found out there but I saw Scintilla while browsing a while back and figured it would make a good project...

Lots to do yet but it's a start

I have included the SciLexer DLL from the Scintilla project.

Donkey

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

ramguru

Well, Scintilla component isn't something very new, I've been using it for two years and I like it a lot. Your example is a little incorrect, or maybe demo that you were translating was... So basically don't use SendMessage with this component and add WS_CLIPCHILDREN style so there is no flicker when resizing. Also loading even big files should take a split of second, but in your example it takes way longer  ::) good luck with your IDE  :lol

jorgon

Hi Donkey

A nice bit of translation work to GoAsm, I'll add this to the sample list.  It will help GoAsm users to see what can be achieved.

Just one question, is the DLL redistributable/open source?
Author of the "Go" tools (GoAsm, GoLink, GoRC, GoBug)

Ehtyar

donkey

Hi Jeremy,

The Scintilla license that comes with the package and is included at the top of my source says...

QuoteCopyright 1998-2003 by Neil Hodgson <neilh@scintilla.org>

All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
supporting documentation.

The supporting documentation also specifically allows use in commercial applications without fee.

Donkey
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable