News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Using ML.exe in Visual Studio

Started by WillofIrony, December 01, 2007, 03:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillofIrony

I have both VS 6 and VS 2005, Each carries a copy of ML.EXE. In addition, any .asm file will open in VS 2005 if double clicked. So VS is well aware of assembly language. However, the documetation makes no mention on how .asm files are created/assembled/linked; at least, that I have seen. Has anybody had any experience of building a pure assembly language project (in the sense of ALL asm/inc/lib files - rather than the betov sense) with VS? Should I get VS to cooperate, will the MASM32 .inc and .lib files still link in as expected?

I only want to know if, during development, I might use VS to gain the ability to debug with code view, at least until I gain more experience/confidence with Ollydbg.

Thanks in anticipation,

Michael

Jupiter

if you installed VS 2005, then you must have MSDN installed too. Enter 'MASM' keyword there and you'll find 'MASM Samples'
Quote from that page:
QuoteThe samples in this section demonstrate support for Microsoft Macro Assembler (MASM) source files in Visual C++. They are not meant to teach assembly language programming or to present an optimal coding solution.

EUCLIDSTEP1
A pure C project that demonstrates Euclid's algorithm for finding the greatest common divisor.

EUCLIDSTEP2
An extension of EUCLIDSTEP1 that is a mixed C and ASM project. The core of Euclid's algorithm is moved from the .c file to an .asm file, with the .c file calling into the .asm file.

PRIMESSTEP1
A pure C project that demonstrates the sieve of Eratosthenes to find prime numbers.

PRIMESSTEP2
An extension of PRIMESSTEP1 that is a mixed C and ASM project that moves the core algorithm to the .asm file.

PRIMESSTEP3
An extension of PRIMESSTEP2 that adds a separate C header file and an .asm include file to declare the extern function and global data structure.

see also:
Visual C++ Samples : MASM Samples
EnJoy!

ToutEnMasm

Hello,
VS is an IDE not written for masm.Used of it isn't useful.Better IDE for masm than VS exists.
Useful is what VS provided as binaries.
With VS 2008 (for example),you need only ml and the include files of masm32 package to build a program.