MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

detect deepfreeze status

Started by ossama, December 04, 2007, 01:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossama

hello,
is there a way to detect the state of the deepfreeze software (disabled/enabled)?
and how to know if the deepfreeze is ibnstalled or not ?
thank you in advance

Mark Jones

Which "Deepfreeze" are you talking about?
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

ossama

versions 4,5, and 6 of the deepfreeze (standard/entreprise)

Tedd

http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

This is security software..
Obvious question: why do you need to do this?
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

ossama

Tedd, thanks,
i am writting a setup program, and i will tell the user to disable deepfreeze if it is enabled because my setup program requires rebooting system and then continue setup.

Tedd

Deepfreeze isn't the only security suite available - what if they are using something else? Are you planning on checking and warning about every/any kind of security software??
I think it would be much easier (and far more sensible) to warn the user to disable any such software - they are more likely to know what they have installed. A check to see that they have administrator rights wouldn't be such a bad idea either :wink

ossama

tedd, in my erea, most of users use deepfreeze, it is the most used here, i am writting a cybercafe billing system software that will be installed in cyberc afe , most cybercafes here are using deepfreeze.

Tedd

A cybercafe where people are allowed to disable the security software and install their own??
The people who work there and maintain the computers are likely to already know it's installed, etc - so again, a simple reminder/warning "Please disable any security software (e.g. Deepfreeze) before continuing." would probably be best.
I doubt you're likely to find an easy way unless the software is set up to allow one - in which case you should ask Faronics directly. You could possibly try checking the process list to see if it shows up.

ossama

thank you tedd, you are very helpful in  this forum, you are active member, you helped many poeple here,
thank you for your time,
i will take your advise. :U