MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Which version of ml.exe?

Started by AeroASM, February 21, 2005, 01:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroASM

As far as I know, there are 3 main versions of ml.exe: 6.14, 6.15 and 7.00

What are the differences between these versions? And which ones do you have to buy, and which ones are free?

roticv

If I am not wrong 6.14 have some problems supporting SSE2.

Mark Jones

I've heard Hutch say that ML 7.00 comes with the Windows XP DDK, hope that helps.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

pbrennick

You are both correct.  I got 7.0 in that manner and 6.14 is old to the point that it can't be expected to support sse2.  Having said that, 6.14 is a work horse and still has lots of life.  I do not believe that 6.15 is free.  I think you need to own a license for visual studio.  Hutch has worked it out so we can use 6.14 without any fear.

Paul

OceanJeff32

I use 7.00, I got it from when I bought Visual C++.NET Standard (Educational Version, used)

It came with the package in the BIN directory for VC

Later,

Jeff C
:dazzled:
Any good programmer knows, every large and/or small job, is equally large, to the programmer!

GregL

I use ML.EXE version 6.15, but 6.14 does everything I need to do. I have a Pentium III so I haven't done any SSE2 stuff yet. I have version 7.10 from Visual C/C++ 2003 but I had problems when trying to use it. ML version 6.14 or 6.15 works great for me.

Relvinian

I uses ML 6.15 which came with my Visual Studio and also have ML 7.1 but haven't used it yet.  6.15 does everything I need to do so I haven't bothered to update my assembly compiling routines to use 7.1 yet.

Relvinian

PS - I have access to any version of ML.EXE which MS produces through there MSDN developer subscription so I can do testing (like 8.0) if needed. Just let me know and I'll try them out.

Xor Stance

Hutch said in past: that he will deal with MS to obtain the ver 7.00 or later(I guess). For SSE, but I think that will be until next year or so. Since the movement form 32 to 64 it takes time and to be sure will be until in 10 years.