masmforum WebSite

Up to date Windows API Reference

Started by GregL, August 12, 2007, 04:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

ramguru,

No problem, I am getting to be a "grumpy old fart" sometimes.  :bg

Polizei

When talking about (full) API reference, I'd just advise you to use Microsoft Platform SDK which comes free with Microsoft Document Explorer. The download is about 400MB, however. It's not big, it's ENORMOUS, but it worths.
For those that traffic is not a problem, MS PSDK can be found at www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/

sonic

After looking that it's "Complete Up to date Api reference" i got excited but ahh it needs connection. Thanks for the effort though. i thought maybe a complete helpfile similar to the one we are having from 1997  :snooty:.
But then again the sdk is far too much space needy. It's not of much worth if a person is not always connected or if a person have access to google  :P

Tedd could u share your work?

GregL

Unless you can automate building a CHM file from the Windows API Reference online, it's just too tedious a task to build one by hand. Package This comes close but leaves links in the CHM. If you figured out the MTPS Content Service you might be able to do it. I think all we will see from Microsoft for offline use is the enormous Platform SDK. It would be great to have an up-to-date stand-alone CHM file for the Windows API Reference.

Actually, the one I made that has the links to the web works fine for me. I noticed the Pelle's C IDE works the same way.

Tedd

If I manage to get it into a usable form, then yes of course :wink
It will either be a pile of html pages (massaged into shape), or even more optimistically, some kind of meta-format from which html/chm/pdf/rtf/wtf could be automatically constructed :bg
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

Howard

Greg
Thanks for sharing this chm. Better than anything else I've found. It will add a new dimension to my programming.
(I've been getting the MSDN Subscriptions Library but MS NZ tell me that they've stopped issueing it.)

Howard

GregL

AkinforASM

Hi,

There is an application called HTM2CHM which creates compiled HTML help files. It's quite handy and incorporates itself onto Windows (in my experience XP) shell.

You right-click on the folder containing HTML files to be compiled, click htm2chm menu and select first "create TOC and index" and after creating TOC and indexes you right click on the folder again and this time select "compile" from the context menu.

If the folder contains a lot of files then it takes too long, but the result is satisfactory.

HTH.