News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Still don't get it...

Started by just_curious, August 28, 2007, 10:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_curious

A while back I tried to learn some 32bit assembly language, I just didn't feel like I knew the things I should about the machine so I dropped the attempt for the time being and learned to write C.  I picked up a copy of Linux and learned to write better C while learning what the Linux operating system was all about.  As a result I sorta fell in love with Linux, but that's niether here nor there, I want to make another run at this assembly language programming outside of 16 bit, I just don't know where to begin.  Can anyone recommend a good book (I didn't like the way that the AoA book basically gives assembly a brand new syntax and seems to remove from asm the things that I most want to learn about like writing my own utility routines).  I need a book (or a few) that starts right from the beginnning and explains everything, like why is it that I still see calls to interrupts in Linux source code despite the 32 bit mode but there are no longer any interrupts (from my understanding perhaps I am mistaken) in Windows 32 bit mode?

Any good starting point you can give me would be greatly appriciated.

thomas_remkus

This is one of the best starter places I have found. It's not the end of the road, but it's a good start on your pilgrimage.

http://win32assembly.online.fr/tutorials.html

Vortex

GregL

just_curious,

The Linux kernel and the Windows kernel are completely different. A rule in one likely will not apply to the other, i.e. interrupts. Underneath the 32-bit CPU is the same. Assembly language without any calls to the OS is going to be pretty similar. Do you want to learn assembly language for Linux or for Windows?

Windows:

1. Assembly Language for Intel-Based Computers 5E

This is a good book but it is way too expensive (it's a university course book). You can get the first three chapters here. They're worth reading.

2. The Art of Assembly Language

I'm referring to the old version. The new version should be titled 'The Art of High Level Assembler'. 

3. The MASM Programmer's Guide

4. Iczelions' Tutorials

Linux:

1. Professional Assembly Language (Programmer to Programmer)

This is the best book I have seen on Linux Assembly Language programming. My only complaint is that all the code in the book is in AT&T syntax.

Both:

1. Intel Manuals

Shell

Hello just_curious

It looks like we're on the same boat. I used to dream in asm and speak in binary back in the DOS days, had programming amnesia for nearly a decade and a half, and now I'm trying to re-learn how to program in ASM. I feel your pain  :boohoo:

Anyways, the above three responses gave some darn good links. Iczelion's tuts are widely popular (thomas_remkus gave the web url, greg gave a direct link to the MASM flavour of the tutorials in one .ZIP package)

Kip Irvine's text (#1 in greg's post) provides the missing link in that it provides some much needed background info that is lacking in a lot of online tuts - its the "prerequisite" part ;)

I agree with greg that AoA has become so specialized to teaching the "Uninitiated" student that those of us who already know how to program get lost (for me its the inability to grasp the current form as an assembly language implementation and NOT an HLL, trying to learn the new syntax actually becomes a deterent to exploring the language further). Anyone have the old Win32 version of AoA tucked away somewhere? I'd appreciate a copy if you do. I still have the 16-bit version from Professor Hyde's class notes  :green

I'd leave the Manuals for some reaaaaally long days of having nothing else to do  :bg

Good luck

GregL

I want to add that if you search around you can find the international edition of 'Assembly Language for Intel Based Computers 5th Edition' for about half price. They claim it's identical, it just has a different cover. It's still too expensive, but not quite as ridiculously so. I have no ties to Kip Irvine, I just think it's the best book out there for learning MASM. I just wish it weren't so damn expensive. They sure soak university students, or their parents I should say.