News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Saturn Emulator

Started by Brian, February 10, 2005, 09:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Are you a professional MASM programmer interested in putting your fabulous skills to use? Help us finish the world's first working Saturn emulator! Most of it is already complete! You will be fully supported with development tools and supplies. Please e-mail me for more information. Thank you!

Vortex

Hi Brian,

Could you give us a little information about the emulator?

BogdanOntanu

You would not be working for IXIA would you :-?

Anyway please let us know wtf Saturn is :P
and how come your first post here is about it?

Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

pbrennick

I think it is the Sega Saturn Emulator for Sega games.
Paul

Brian

Saturn is an incredible video game system created by Sega Enterprises. It uses two SH2 processors and is comparable to the Sony PlayStation in performance. While Saturn was not very popular in the United States or the United Kingdom, it was a major hit in Japan.

This project was started back in 1998 by an unknown Japanese programmer. It was named GiriGiri. For years there was no news on the project. Suddenly, it was bought by Sega and used as a personal arcade for the computer. However, Sega only kept this project going for a very short time. The source code was then leaked onto the internet. The new GiriGiri was far better than any other Saturn emulator ever released but it was still very hard to use and didn't do much so another programmer updated it and called it Cassini. He didn't get too far before he quit and that is where we are now. The program is written entirely in assembler language. That is why we need you.

This program has to be incredibly fast and accurate. I'm sure it will be very entertaining for anyone willing to dedicate their time towards it. Please contact me if you are interested in helping out and I will send you the source and Sega's documentation on the Saturn.

...And no, I don't work for IXIA. :wink

BogdanOntanu

Yeah i did noticed that :P please excuse... my mistake
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

hitchhikr

The source code was then leaked onto the internet.

Stolen ?

exluddite

Quote from: hitchhikr on February 12, 2005, 09:34:11 AM
The source code was then leaked onto the internet.

Stolen ?

Yeah a legitimate open source project would be one thing, but if someone just took the code and ran with it, it's another thing entirely. Is this Sega's code and are they ok with all of this?

Brian

No, the source that was leaked was actually from the original GiriGiri project. It was the final, unreleased, update before Sega bought it so it is completely legitimate. :wink Also, Sega no longer has the rights to this project. They only rented it out for a year. ::)

hitchhikr

You wouldn't be talking about "cassini" by any luck ?
If so, then it's just a hacked version of girigiri.

saturnin and satourne seem to be a little bit more "legal" (as far as the legality of emulation goes).

Brian

Cassini is simply an upgrade to the abandoned GiriGiri project. Sega destroyed their source when the lease was up so we have stolen nothing. Most emulators can be considered illegal in some way or another. There is no more or less in legal terms. Saturnin and Satourne use the same resources as we do.

Our team has contacted Sega several times concerning this matter and they seem to be indifferent. Sega supports emulators more so than any other major video game company and has never sued or threatened developers of such projects.

P1

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2005, 07:11:30 PMMost emulators can be considered illegal in some way or another.
By your own words, I will close this thread.

Regards,  P1  :8)