News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Student trying to learn assembly language

Started by rogerkeith52, February 14, 2005, 04:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerkeith52

My computer is a Pentium IV and runs Windows XP Pro and Office XP Pro.  I am a gradute student trying to complete prerequisite courses.  I have installed MASM32 with the 16 bit linker.  I have used the GUI text editor and the assembler and linker from the menu.  Some of the .bat files used to build and link were modified to make the programs assemble. 

I have written some simple test programs to make sure things work.  I then assembled them again and the executable file that worked before did not work after the second build and link.  I was testing the process to make sure it worked.  What happens is the code assembles and links but when I try to run the program, there is no ouput.

I am new at this and this is my first venture into assembly language.

Roger

Mark Jones

Hi Roger, can you tell us, is there any error produced? Is it time-sensitive (demo?) And have you tried analyzing it with a debugger?

If you have an exception-handling debugger like OllyDbg http://home.t-online.de/home/Ollydbg/, simply loading the app with Olly and pressing F9 should stop at the error (unless the program isn't crashing, at which case you may need to go through the code with a fine-toothed comb.) But in general, MASM shouldn't generate random code... :toothy Good luck.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Randall Hyde

Quote from: rogerkeith52 on February 14, 2005, 04:33:16 AM
My computer is a Pentium IV and runs Windows XP Pro and Office XP Pro.  I am a gradute student trying to complete prerequisite courses.  I have installed MASM32 with the 16 bit linker.  I have used the GUI text editor and the assembler and linker from the menu.  Some of the .bat files used to build and link were modified to make the programs assemble. 

I have written some simple test programs to make sure things work.  I then assembled them again and the executable file that worked before did not work after the second build and link.  I was testing the process to make sure it worked.  What happens is the code assembles and links but when I try to run the program, there is no ouput.

I am new at this and this is my first venture into assembly language.

Roger

Be sure to check out http://webster.cs.ucr.edu.
Especially "The Art of Assembly Language"
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

raymond

Roger

Maybe you should elaborate on that "there is no output".

The most frequent cause of that with beginners is that some data is sent to the screen, but the program then exits immediately without waiting for any feedback such a keystroke before destroying the output.

Raymond
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

Vortex

Hi Roger,

Welcome to the forum:

QuoteI have installed MASM32 with the 16 bit linker.

Which one is your target environment? 16-bit DOS or 32-bit Windows?