News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Programming MMORPG's

Started by Scorpie, February 11, 2005, 09:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scorpie

Hi, im fairly new to this board and also no expert in asm but Programming MMORPG's is a topic that interests me, i also had a topic about this subject on Win32asmboard but only one person replyed so i reposted (and reprashed) it here.

I started learning OpenGL a few days ago now and i only covert the basic theory about networking (haven't experimented with it yet) so this wont be a topic in which you will follow the progress of a mmorpg development.

Why this topic, im thinking about (after i learned how to make good use of the Winsock api) building a small 'world' in which players can walk around (just to learn more about networking and OpenGL) but i do want to try to build it in a way that it would be expandable for more players, bigger world etc so thats why i opened this topic, i want to discuss the theory about developing mmorpg's so please feel free to make suggestions :)

well that's my introduction to the topic, i hope its clear enough and doenst have too much gramatical mistakes in it.

(ill keep this post as an introduction and make my first post on this topic under this one)

Scorpie

well the thing im worying most about is how to devide the coding, what to make serversided and which code is best to make clientsided.
And how to keep the data that needs to be send over the network to a minimum.

ill lay down a little what kind of system im thinking about, please feel free to comment, argue or add info (thats what this topic is supose to be for)

I think keeping the character/user database on the serverside because of security issues (item, level cheating etc)
Every client has a the worldmap including all the static objects (like rocks which never will be moved etc).
All players send their status to the server (position, angle, animation, frame of animation etc) i think the best thing is to send only the values that changed, so if nothing changed send nothing, position changed send new position etc

the server looks at every player at a time and then sends info about non-static objects (like players, mobs, things that can be moved) within the viewing radius of the player.

this covers most basics i can think of at the moment, i hope to post more tomorrow

Scorpie

hitchhikr

The only suggestion i come up with is:

Start with simple games and continue with more complex ones (even without network support), gain a solid experience in game & network programming before you can embark in such adventure or you won't go very far and your big project will end where thousands of other big projects have ended before.

(And don't even think about asm for such quest unless you want to spend the rest of your life on it).

dev_zero

One little thought, I don't think you should program such games which have pretty large code in assembler. I think it's better to do this in C or C++.

Scorpie

well all the OpenGL im working on atm is in C++, the networking tutorials i studyd also included C++ source and if im gona make a game it will probably be in C++ or combinated with Assembly dll's.
i also got some game programming experience, i worked on some platform and tilebased games, i also worked with software 3D rendering in Assembly but this isnt really the point here, im just interested in the 'how to' and 'ips and tricks' for programming mmorpg's.
I want to gain more experience anyway before starting to program a game but i just want to discuss it already :)
(im now at the point where im gona try to show models stored in a file with specific format on the screen  :lol)

Scorpie