News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

how to use qeditor

Started by LouisStDubois, May 17, 2007, 03:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisStDubois

Is the Hutch that I see posting THE Steve Hutchesson?  If so, can you enlighten me on how to use your QEditor?  If not, can anyone tell me how?  I'm new to MASM and have been attempting to penetrate it at the 16 bit level til now.  I have MASM32 and am at the tutorial level trying out the seven examples given in the package, but I can't seem to succeed with "Build this with the 'Project' menu using 'Console Assemble and Link.'"  I've entered the code in the QEditor but am at a loss as to what to do from there and the help menu doesn't really tell much about how to use the QEditor.  It seems to be a matter of too many options for me to assimilate.  Thanks for any help. Louis

Tedd

Yeah, that's him (just don't tell the cops)

type in the code
save it to a file, e.g. "test.asm" (must end with .asm, and make sure the full path to the file has no spaces in)
Project -> Console Assemble & Link
..et voila..
you should have an exe in the same folder as your asm source
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

LouisStDubois

O.K. I'm back and feeling kinda retarded.  When I go to the project menu and click on console assemble and link I get the "no file loaded" notice, however in the file menu I can't find anything but load script and that takes me to the directory for the MASM32 package (which is pretty slick by the way).  I've got my source code filed with an .asm but can't figure out how to get it loaded.  I guess I'm just a command prompt kind of a guy.  Thanks.  Louis

MichaelW

For an existing file, use Open on the File menu to load it into the editor. For a new file you can code your own or start with one of the templates from the Code menu. Any changes you make to a file must be saved before you attempt to assemble/build it. See Quick Editor help on the Help menu.

eschew obfuscation

LouisStDubois

I really did check out the help for qeditor before I came here and didn't find anything to address my problem.  Now I've got the source code to load but at the "console assemble and link" I get fatal error a1000 or something to that effect.  In short it says that it's unable to open that .asm file.  The title bar reads "G:\masm32\HELLO.asm\HELLO.asm.  (I'm using an extra hard drive to hold programming shtuff.)  Thanks for your patience.  Louis

Vortex

Louis,

Can you send the source code?

LouisStDubois

I'm pretty sure I can.  Just right-click on it and send it as an attachment, right?  What do I use for an address?   The thing I see in my address bar is about a yard long.  Louis

Vortex

Louis,

Click Additional Options and click the browse button to attach a file.

LouisStDubois

You see, you people assume that I know things, and I don't.  Additional Options, where?  Louis

Vortex

Louis,

While replying, you should be able to view the Additional Options :

LouisStDubois

Sorry man, I've been up since three this morning and I'm running down.  Here goes.  Thanks.  Louis

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vortex

Louis,

There is only one simple line to correct in your code, you should put a leading semicolon sign in the fist line :

;                                          HELLO

Save those commands in a batch file and retry to build the example code :
\masm32\bin\ml /c /coff Hello.asm
\masm32\bin\link /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE Hello.obj

LouisStDubois

I should have noticed that.  I added the semicolon and saved, but still get the fatal error A1000.  I'm mystified.  Louis

Vortex

Which line in the source code reports this error message?

LouisStDubois

It's still saying that it cannot open file.  I just assumed that it was something that I did wrong about naming the file or misusing QEditor somehow.  Louis