News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Is XP a legacy OS or an extention of Win2000?

Started by integer, May 06, 2007, 04:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

integer

I have XP with sp2

Should I download and install the win9x version or the Win2000 version?

I do not keep tabs on what version of microsoft os is most current/up to date and
am not sure which is what I should use.

Does it matter which is installed?

hutch--

XP is still a current OS version for Windows so if you have it installed on your machine correctly and it has not virus or trojan damage I would use it. Stay away from Vista until enough things are fixed in it as it breaks a lot of existing code at the moment. Win2000 works fine and is basically a matter of choice between it and XP.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

donkey

I prefer Windows 2000. It is fairly stable, much less bloated than later versions, none of that annoying GUI garbage MS began with XP, and it has pretty much all of the useful API functions that are found in 9x, NT4 and XP+. I run XP64 on my AMD box but for the most part I don't do very much development in a 64 bit environment as my main focus for the last while has been writing in C for the StrongARM SA1110 cpu and PocketPC/WinCE. However, I have pretty much given up on that platform and have been looking around for a project in x86 assembler again as well as continuing (finally) my work on the GoAsm header project which for various reasons I had to let slip for a while, and in that regard I would never consider developing for an OS other than Win2K. In short Microsoft still hasn't improved on Win2K in any meaningful way as far as I am concerned, it's still the best OS they have IMHO.

Donkey
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

integer

In haste to get started, my question was mud.
Since I am using the XP sp2, I would like to know which of the Macro Assemblers is best to use?

This ?
Win2000 and later OS versions:   m32v9r.zip Version 9.0

or this ?
Win9x OS versions:  m32v9r_legacy.zip

I'm not sure if XP is considered legacy(part of the Win95, Win98)  or it is an extension of Win2000.
So, before I jump into the rock pit versus the water hole, which masm version should I use?
(Jumping into the rock pit might my bruise me, but jumping into the deep water hole may get me damp)

Just try to get some direction.
Thanks for the replies.

Second request:
Where do I find the "Hello World" program?

PBrennick

Use m32v9r.zip Version 9.0.

Are you looking for a console or windows version of Hello World?
Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

dsouza123

Hello world versions:

Console version named hello.asm in
\masm32\examples\exampl09\console\hello

GUI version also named hello.asm in
\masm32\tutorial\console\demo1

32 bit Windows versions and families

One family (shared code base 9X)
95, 98, 98SE, ME

Another family ( NT based)
NT, 2000, XP, Server, Vista

A quick google search revealed the following page
that gives a more detailed list of the various Windows versions.

http://www.phm.lu/Documentation/Windows/Versions.asp