MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

BOOK FOR 16 BIT PROGRAMMING

Started by anuradha, March 14, 2007, 06:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anuradha

CAN ANY ONE SUGGEST A GOOD BOOK FOR 16BIT PROGRAMMING IN ASSEMBLY

LouisStDubois

I've been using "Assembly Programming Step by Step" by Jeff Duntemann.  I'm sure there is a lot of good, maybe better books out there.  Mr. Duntemann emphasises learning how to convert from Dec to Octal and Hex and I found that to be deadly boring, but he assumes that one knows nothing bout assembly which in my case is accurate.  He is writing with 16 bit MASM in mind though.  Truth to tell, I don't really know enough to be able to tell what a good book on the subject is or not.  Hope this helps.  (I have learned that the more different points of view you can get on a subject the easier it is to absorb it.)  EWW

cman

I learned 16-bit programming from 80x86 Assembly Programming , D.S Jones , Oxford Science Publications , ISBN 0-19-853829-4 . Pretty decent book. I think this is from the mid 80's sometime and I don't know if it is still published. I also have Assembly Language For Intel-Based Computers , Kip R. Irvine , ISBN 0-13-660390-4. This one is from the late 90's and I belive still being published. This one is decent as well and covers specific MASM as well as TASM topics. I think together these books make a nice set.  :bg

dncprogrammer

Hi,
The Dunteman book is a little abstract. If you are trying to refer to it for a code sample that you once saw you basically have to re-read the book to find it. In my experience reference is everything no matter how much or little you know. I keep Kip Irvine within 5 feet at all times but Im not so sure that it's a really good step by step, more a really good reference. Allan Wyatt had a pretty good start-up book as well as (i know you'll laugh) the old Norton's PC Assembly book. That one guides the reader through an interesting project throught the book and you learn lots of things needed as you go along. Good luck! It will take a few author's perspectives on assembly to find your understanding. That I know, and lots of practice!

jon

LouisStDubois

I'm not laughing, I read the Norton book referred to a lot, furthermore as soon as I can find it I intend to add it to my little library.  EWW