working and installation on WinXP suddenly impossible

Started by MoreBits, March 03, 2007, 04:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoreBits

Hi to all,

I'm using different versions of the MASM32 package for long times without any problems. Today I ended up with an interesting problem preventing me from using the package...

Situation (MASM32 v9 on Drive F):
Last time I used the QEditor.exe some days before. All was working as it should, no problems at all. Then my WinXP got the "normal" monthly update from the MS Web Site. If I wanted to start Qeditor.exe today, I only got a typical message like "...Qeditor has encountered a problem and was shut down -please inform MS...". I tried it again, then again after a reset - always the same. I tried it with other progs of the MASM package and found the same behaviour: mnutoasm.exe, pstart4.exe, qeditor.exe, qetb.exe, thegun.exe not working. Some other (pstold.exe, setgun.exe) are working as before. Up to now, I didn't found other non-MS progs ore some of my own progs on my machine not working.

All of the progs not working are running normally if started in compatibility mode (Win95 or WinME).

I thougt about a reinstallation: - but after starting  the install.exe, without regard to the drive I choose for installation, I got: "...7z SFX has encountered a problem and was shut down...." - Ok, I switched to compatibility mode. Installation started, copied files and then: " Error inc2l.exe: Ordinal number 201 not found in winspool.drv" . No way to have an normal installation.

Does somebody can confirm this or/and have an idea how to fix this?

kind regards

MoreBits

MichaelW

eschew obfuscation

MoreBits

Thanks for the answer.
Yes, the behaviour described, especially that the progs are running in compatibility mode for Win95, Win98, WinME, points into that direction - something wrong with exec  rights... But I just took a  look: on my WinXP DEP was and still is at the standard settings (only for system executables)...

And, the MASM32 package was working without any exceptions on the same system for months....and now it would be impossible to install it.

My problem is that I didn't change anything on my system (at least I think so...  :wink ) and I'm not sure at all about the real reason for this behaviour now - first guess was antivirus software (tested - no), then the last Win-Update, but perhaps I changed some hidden windows settings as a side effect of other work...

regards

MoreBits

MoreBits

Hi,

I've checked the files attached to the topic I was pointed to by MichaelW : these files work !! ....
Now I'm a bit more helpless - why did the whole package work for long times without this actualization and what could have changed yet?

regards

MoreBits

MichaelW

I think it's likely that the change was part of an update, probably SP2 or some component of SP2. On the Windows Update site, under Review your Update History, for the recent updates search for the KB articles and see if there is any mention of DEP, or a description that matches DEP, details here.
eschew obfuscation

MoreBits

Hi,

unfortunately, last update records (2007-02-16) doesn't have a "direct link" to DEP, and DEP isn't mentioned within the further descriptions etc. Despite of this fact, I got some indications on my system that I was using e.g. Qeditor without problems after the last update....

At the end this problem isn't a real "blocker", because I can use the compoatibility mode or the "DEP-ready" files you pointed me to as a workaround for now and wait for the next new release hutch mentioned  here.

kind regards

bjthr

MoreBits

See here the results of my search for a reason of this behaviour....

Thanks for all hints and ideas!

kind regards

MoreBits