MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Linux hla binary missing from archive problem

Started by grofaz, January 27, 2007, 08:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grofaz

Hi!

I tried reporting this to Randall via email but I'm not sure if he will get it or not. So I'm reporting it here. I downloaded the latest HLA package from AoA website and discovered that when uncompressed the archive contents contain the correct hlaparse binary, include, and hlalib folders. The trouble is that it also contains a nested hla archive (in lieu of the hla binary) containing duplicate hlaparse, include, and hlalib files but no hla binary.

Anyone else experiencing this problem or am I just crazy ??   :dazzled:

Would dearly love to get hla up and running on my linux box.  :boohoo:

Regards,
grofaz

Evenbit

Have you tried the "HLA v1.81 for Linux" link?  HLA is growing and changing rapidly, so you'll have better luck starting off with the stable and well-tested downloads.

Nathan.

grofaz

Yes and no. I did try it but not seriously as 1.86 is suppossed to have cured many bugs. But I suppose I may as well, at least till the next version comes along. Meanwhile I've been using HIDE/1.86 on my winXP box.

Thanks buddy!

Randall Hyde

Quote from: grofaz on January 27, 2007, 08:25:49 PM
Hi!

I tried reporting this to Randall via email but I'm not sure if he will get it or not. So I'm reporting it here. I downloaded the latest HLA package from AoA website and discovered that when uncompressed the archive contents contain the correct hlaparse binary, include, and hlalib folders. The trouble is that it also contains a nested hla archive (in lieu of the hla binary) containing duplicate hlaparse, include, and hlalib files but no hla binary.

Anyone else experiencing this problem or am I just crazy ??   :dazzled:

Would dearly love to get hla up and running on my linux box.  :boohoo:

Regards,
grofaz

No, I didn't get the email (that I recall).
I'm in the last stages of putting HLA v1.87 together, so I may just put off reposting the code and opt to put up 1.87 this week sometime. If it starts to drag out, I'll comment out the regex macro facility I'm currently working on and put up v1.87 without that feature.

DarkWolf

What is the date on that archive grofaz ?

Mine is not structured that way and reports as being v1.86 .
--
Where's there's smoke, There are mirrors.
Give me Free as in Freedom not Speech or Beer.
Thank You and Welcome to the Internet.

vultaire

While I eagerly await 1.87, I took Evenbit's suggestion and tried compiling the code for 1.86 by hand.  It was very easy to do.  Don't let the overly verbose procedure below fool you!

This is what I did on Ubuntu 6.06:

1. Download the Linux tar.gz archive for HLA 1.86, and the source archive as well.  At the time of writing, these files are:
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/HLA/HLAv1.86/hla.tar.gz
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/HLA/HLAv1.86/hlasrc.zip
2. Open a console window and "cd" into the folder where you downloaded everything.
2. Extract hla.tar.gz and copy everything to /usr/hla:
tar -xzvf hla.tar.gz
sudo mv hla /usr

3. Install gcc (and probably g++) if not already installed:
sudo apt-get install gcc g++
4. Install flex and bison, if not installed:
sudo apt-get install flex bison
5. Install as and ld, if not installed.  Seems to already be installed on Ubuntu.
5. Unzip the source and enter source directory:
unzip hlasrc.zip
cd hlasrc

6. Execute makefile:
make -f makefile.linux
7. Set up your ~/.bashrc file so you can execute hla from the command line.
For me, I just added this to the end of my ~/.bashrc file:

#Stuff for HLA manual installation
PATH=/usr/hla:$PATH
hlalib=/usr/hla/hlalib/hlalib.a
export hlalib
hlainc=/usr/hla/include
export hlainc

Have fun!

- Paul Goins

DarkWolf

You shouldn't need to specifically install as and ld.
They are part of the binutils package and is installed with gcc.
Or at least I never had to.

I did copy hla and hlaparse to /bin this time because I couldn't get the symlinks working.
Each time I tried, they where broken.

But I am having an old problem with by build enviroment again.
.bashrc does not like the following lines appended and reports there is an invalid identifier.

# Added for HLA support
hlalib=/home/user/HLA/hlalib/hlalib.a

export hlalib

hlainc=/home/user/HLA/include

export hlainc

This worked in 6.06 but not 6.10, not quite sure what is different or what I did different this time.
--
Where's there's smoke, There are mirrors.
Give me Free as in Freedom not Speech or Beer.
Thank You and Welcome to the Internet.

grofaz

I see everything has been updated so I'll give it a whirl. I'm using both linux and windows versions btw.