MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

DOS and DOS command line in windows

Started by stk, February 09, 2007, 04:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stk

Hi,

is there a difference between the real MS-DOS and the DOS command line in windows?
If yes, i'm using Win98 on my assembler-Computer (it's my old computer and i want use it
only for assembler now), where can i get MS-DOS, or is there no reason to use MS-DOS in
the days of windows?

Thank you.

regards,
stk

MichaelW

There are differences, but anything resembling a "normal" DOS application should work OK. Of the Windows 9x versions, Windows 98 First Edition is the most tolerant of DOS applications doing unusual things. For the few applications that cannot run under Windows, you can restart the system in Windows 98 MS-DOS mode, which is basically a newer version of real-mode DOS.

eschew obfuscation

stk

Hi,

i have Win98 second edition, so if i want use the book (dos graphics programming) i can
do all without buying MS-DOS 6.2 (or another version)?

Today i've got a batch-programming tutorial, do i need MS-DOS for this?

regards,
stk

stk

Hi MichaelW,

one question:

do you think that a guy who is interested in computers and assembly programming,
start learning DOS and batch programming, that this guy could get a better understanding
of how computers work, as a programmer who works only with windows?

stk

MichaelW

By starting with DOS programming I think you could get a better understanding of how the hardware and the BIOS work, but depending on what you intend to be doing as a programmer, this knowledge may or may not be useful.
eschew obfuscation

stk

Hi,

i thought that a better understanding of hardware and BIOS is the reason for a programmer
to learn assembly programming. This is my reason at first, second is to become a better
C/C++ programmer and third is windows programming with assembler.
Now i'm using only C and WinAPI for windows programming.

regards,
stk

GregL

Quote from: stkIs there a difference between the real MS-DOS and the DOS command line in windows?

With Windows NT, 2000, XP and Vista, there is a big difference. They are two completely different things. Although the Windows Command-Prompt appears similar to MS-DOS, underneath it is not. The Windows Command-Prompt uses the Win32 API underneath.

Personally I would suggest you don't waste your time with MS-DOS and BIOS stuff. It is really no longer relevant.

I would encourage you to learn 32-bit Windows and even 64-bit Windows assembly language programming, you'll be a better programmer for it.

If you want to go "low-level", learn to write Windows device drivers in assembly language.

stk

Hi Greg,

QuoteIf you want to go "low-level", learn to write Windows device drivers in assembly language.
Where i have to start, if i want to go this way?
Do you know a good book for this?

regards,
stk

japheth

Quote from: stk on February 15, 2007, 02:34:36 PM
Hi Greg,

QuoteIf you want to go "low-level", learn to write Windows device drivers in assembly language.
Where i have to start, if i want to go this way?
Do you know a good book for this?

regards,
stk

That most likely was a joke of Greg. Writing Windows device drivers in ASM is very uncommon and surely not something a beginner should learn first.

GregL

Well, I wasn't really joking. But it definitely isn't for beginners. It's a bit over my head too, I have only done a very small amount of it.

stk,

Just to give you an idea what it's about:

Kernel Mode Drivers

Windows Device Drivers

stk

Hi Greg,

thank you for the links.

regards,
stk