MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

DLGTEMPLATEEX et al

Started by donkey, October 22, 2006, 08:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramguru

Quote from: PBrennick on November 27, 2006, 02:24:06 AM
What will it do, convert all resources that are read into UNICODE?
I guess the purpose of my application wasn't neither appropriately stated nor perceived  :'(
So I will try again... what it does?.
enumerates all resources including languages/ids of chosen executable-file (File-->Open-->PE)
it's able to show chosen resource in hex window (right-click menu on resource language "Open in hex")
it's able to generate resource script for some resources: DIALOG(EX), MENU(EX), STRING, ACCELERATOR
it's able to extract chosen resource as binary (right-click menu on resource language "Extract binary data")
what will it do ?
application will have internal visual resource editor
app will have internal image editor
app will add resource section to executable file, if it doesn't have one
app will save modified data directly to executable file (meaning if user had edited generated resource script, or data in hex window, app will convert data back to native resource format & will save it)

Quote from: donkey on November 27, 2006, 02:58:22 AM
As far as I know all resource strings, including those in dialogs etc, are stored in UNICODE format anyway, string and message tables and the text in dialogs are converted to UNICODE by the resource compiler then back to ANSI when necessary. I am not aware of any strings in the resource section that are not stored in UNICODE format. I was wondering about that comment as well since you obviously cannot perform any "low level" resource functions without full UNICODE support since it is native to the format.

Donkey

donkey, I know all the facts, but I also know the fact that KetilO's resource editor doesn't even let you save menu(any resource) using unicode symbols, and he said he's not going to in the future... Other tools like resource hacker generates resource script but with "?????" instead of unicode symbols, there are very few resource manipulators that fully support unicode, at least not written in asm...

PBrennick

This sounds like it will be a better tool than Resource Hacker, which I often use. I would not mind seeing a tool that converts resource IDs used by styles back to their text name. That would be VERY useful!

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website