MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Public labels!

Started by srod, December 08, 2006, 10:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srod

Hi,

Is there any way to label a procedure or data in such a way that it is not made public to other .obj's being linked, i.e. it remains strictly private to the .obj within which it is located?

I am working on a large project in which GoAsm is being used to create a lot of .obj's, not all of which will be written by myself, and there is of course a danger of duplicating names.  It will be difficult to avoid under certain conditions.

If this is not possible through some GoAsm directive, then how about my arranging for all 'internal' procedures to be bunched together within one 'frame' (not a GoAsm stack frame) and label them with reusable unscoped labels? I can then call them with long jumps.  The question I then need to ask is whether you can actually call such a label with the 'call' command?

If not, is it possible to use the $ counter along the following lines:

...blah blah main code

PUSH $+10                         ;+10 to get the address of the instruction XOR EAX, EAX ? This is the return address.
JMP LONG > p200
XOR EAX, EAX
...blah blah

etc.

;Now the 'internal' procedure.
p200:
;do some work.
;...blah blah
RET                                 ;Hoping this will return to the address pushed on the stack above.

I don't know, is something like this possible? 

Thanks in advance.

Stephen.

jorgon

Hi Stephen

One way to achieve this is in your calls to executable code is to use a reusable unscoped label (which is, by definition not "public"), but to make sure that the label is declared earlier in the source script and is in the same section.  If you do this, GoAsm itself will find the label and complete the call correctly.  The linker is not involved at all.

For example:-

CODE
;
p200:
          ;code goes here
RET
;
START:
CALL p200
RET
;

Since the CALL always codes "long" it does not matter that p200 is more than 128 bytes away.

For data, you can use data arrays for example:-

DATA
;
DATAp200
       DD 0        ;+0 chew
       DD 0        ;+4 fat
       DD 0        ;+8 swallow
       DD 0        ;+C sick
;
CODE
;
FATPROC:
MOV EAX,[DATAp200+4]             ;get fat into eax
CMP EAX,[DATAp200+8]             ;see if it has been swallowed
JZ >L1                           ;yes, too late
MOV ESI,[DATAp200+0Ch]           ;no, so sick it up into esi
L1:
RET

This produces only one unique label DATAp200.

Sorry, our cat keeps being sick.
Author of the "Go" tools (GoAsm, GoLink, GoRC, GoBug)

srod

Nice one, thanks. I was hoping to be able to use an unscoped label in such a way, but wasn't sure - great!

A quick test and I see that an error ensues when making a forward call to an unscoped label using 'call'.  Makes sense!

Thanks Jeremy.  :U

srod

Right, we've solved the problem with keeping procedures private to individual .obj's.

Data?

Are there any issues with adapting your code above to the following:

DATA
;
DATAp200
       DD 0        ;+0 chew
       DD 0        ;+4 fat
       DD 0        ;+8 swallow
       DD 0        ;+C sick
;

#DEFINE fat DATAp200 + 4

CODE
;
FATPROC:
MOV EAX,[fat]             ;get fat into eax
...etc
RET

Using #DEFINE this way certainly seems to work okay. Am I correct in saying that such a definition does not make it's way into the .obj file - that is the definition of 'fat' is strictly private?  Probably a stupid question I know, but this will solve all my problems at the moment!  :wink

jorgon

It does work, "fat" is private, and also you can have

MOV EAX,ADDR fat

Stephen, I think you may start a new trend!
Author of the "Go" tools (GoAsm, GoLink, GoRC, GoBug)

srod