News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

decompiler for A86 code

Started by LouisStDubois, November 01, 2006, 03:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisStDubois

I found a really nifty text editor for A86 called EZA86.  It's sophisticated enough that it creates a virtual IDE of A86.  However the source code is damaged or had bugs to begin with.  As ambitious as it seems, I would like to try to decompile the program and "fix" it if possible.  Does anyone know of a free decompiler which will do this?  The program is written in A86.  Thanks.

Actually, as I understand the law, and forum rules notwithstanding, decompilation for the purpose of operability does not constitute copyright infringement.  The author, Mr Hall doesn't forbid that, only that the program not be distributed in an altered state.  The fixes are more in the realm of correcting glaring glitches, some of which cause the program to lock up.  I can operate a motor vehicle.  I can even fix a motor vehicle.  However, I'm not far enough along to make one.  I believe the analogy is appropriate.
The disassembler I'm going to try to use is called pxDis86.  It's an 8086 disassembler for beginners.
I don't have "hacker" aspirations.  I don't want to steal anyone's intellectual property.  I only want to try to get Mr Hall's work to work.  If I like the program, and I'm sure I will, I'll buy his CD if it's still available.  As yet I haven't even been successful in contacting him, so it's not outside the realm of possiblilty that the software has been abandoned.

MichaelW

Hello Louis,

I cannot find any editor named EZA86, but I can find Ez86, an editor which matches your description. Ez86 is shareware, and the source is available only if you register and pay an additional $20 fee. Unless you can demonstrate that the author of the editor placed no restrictions on what could be done with the editor, your request for help de-compiling it, for whatever reason, is a violation of the forum rules, and this topic will be locked.

I think that fixing the program would be more ambitious than you expect. If you are willing to take on such a task, why not just code your own editor?
eschew obfuscation

Tedd

"fixing" it means removing nags, shareware notices, enabling disabled features, etc ::)
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

PBrennick

Just to add my two cents, a shareware program is crippled so that some key featurers require registration and a fee. This crippling process has been known, in many cases, to cause problems. Register the program and send a copy of it to MichaelW along with the Eula. He can, then, make a determination on RE. I have purchased many, many applicaions over the years and I have NEVER seen anyone who says, 'You want to RE it, sure go ahead, it is okay with me' It makes no sense, if someone feels that way, what they ALWAYS do is include the source with the purchased copy so-o-o-o-o...

Say goodbye,
Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

MichaelW

Quote from: LouisStDubois on November 01, 2006, 03:29:25 PM
I found a really nifty text editor for A86 called EZA86.  It's sophisticated enough that it creates a virtual IDE of A86.  However the source code is damaged or had bugs to begin with.  As ambitious as it seems, I would like to try to decompile the program and "fix" it if possible.  Does anyone know of a free decompiler which will do this?  The program is written in A86.  Thanks.

Actually, as I understand the law, and forum rules notwithstanding, decompilation for the purpose of operability does not constitute copyright infringement.  The author, Mr Hall doesn't forbid that, only that the program not be distributed in an altered state.  The fixes are more in the realm of correcting glaring glitches, some of which cause the program to lock up.  I can operate a motor vehicle.  I can even fix a motor vehicle.  However, I'm not far enough along to make one.  I believe the analogy is appropriate.
The disassembler I'm going to try to use is called pxDis86.  It's an 8086 disassembler for beginners.
I don't have "hacker" aspirations.  I don't want to steal anyone's intellectual property.  I only want to try to get Mr Hall's work to work.  If I like the program, and I'm sure I will, I'll buy his CD if it's still available.  As yet I haven't even been successful in contacting him, so it's not outside the realm of possiblilty that the software has been abandoned.

Using the information that you provided initially, I had no way of know what editor you were using. The "source code is damaged or had bugs" seemed to me like a weak excuse for doing just as Tedd stated, essentially pirating a full working version without paying for it. Your assurances notwithstanding, this would be a violation of the forum rules.

If you are not far enough along to make an editor, then I have doubts that you are far enough along to fix one using a disassembly of the executable. In readme.doc the author states that the shareware version is not crippled in any way and has no known bugs. I doubt that he would be distributing it if it had "glaring glitches". Perhaps your problem is not the program, but the system it is running on.
eschew obfuscation

LouisStDubois

LouisStDubois

Hey you guys!  Believe it or not, I actually finally got connected with Mr. Hall and he's actually going to help me get the lock-up problem solved so that I may get Ez86 to run on my old Tandy 286.  What a guy, huh?