News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

codeview debugging

Started by stebra, March 29, 2007, 10:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stebra

In attempting to set up a protected-mode environment in dos i find that the codeview debugger that comes with my masm 611 does not appear to function correctly !!........First off, in setting 32bit register display i see spurious data appearing in the upper word of extended registers when i am infact single-stepping the code. Also, how come in executing a command such as xor ebx,ebx in order to zero the register, it infact does not zero the upper word ?..........Also, a mov to a 32bit register only fills the lower word ie....dx instead of edx etc. Does codeview work with 32bit instructions ?

Tedd

No - obviously it doesn't :P
But then, if you're able to view 32-bit registers with it (?) then it must at least be 32-bit aware; however, if it's destroying the upper part of registers then maybe not.
xor bx,bx is supposed to only zero the lower word - use xor ebx,ebx to zero the whole thing (if you can't assemble this, you can use a 66h prefix byte, and then follow that with xor bx,bx - it turns the 16-bit instruction into a 32-bit one, in 16-bit mode.)
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

japheth

Hi,

some versions of CodeView are known to have this bug, for example v4.01 (dated 1992). The version coming with VC 1.52 (CodeView v4.1) has this bug fixed!