MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

32-bit masm v80 won't run on Win XP SP2

Started by JFG, October 15, 2006, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JFG

Howdy everybody?  :lol

I put in the 32-bit version of MASM version 8.0 on a computer running Windows XP SP2, along with the associated cvtres executable (and other related supporting files, e.g. DLLs), and tried running both from the DOS prompt, but for both I just get back a message saying that the system cannot execute the programs specified.  Are these supposed to be run in some other way?

GregL

JFG,

What is the exact error you are getting?

JFG

DOS says "The system cannot execute the specified program".

Vortex

JFG,

Masm V8.0 can be obtained freely from MS. You need to install it over VC++ 2005 Express edition.

zooba

Apparently you also need to have the .Net Framework installed. Though I don't know for sure. Mine works, but I probably got the framework with VS Express.

Cheers,

Zooba :U

Vortex

JFG,

zooba explained well, .NET Framework 2.0 should be installed with VC++ Express 2005 edition.

Microsoft Macro Assembler 8.0 (MASM) Package (x86)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7A1C9DA0-0510-44A2-B042-7EF370530C64&displaylang=en

Shantanu Gadgil

As long as one is going with the .NET 2.0 runtime everything should work, I guess.

Manos has mentioned that ML 8.0 also works by installing the vcredist_x86.exe here:
http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=4970.msg37270#msg37270

I guess if you really _don't_ want to install the .NET runtime, you can give the "redist" thing a try?!?

Regards,
Shantanu
To ret is human, to jmp divine!

GregL

JFG,

Yep, as the guys already said above, you need to install one of the following:

1.  Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package
2.  .NET Framework 2.0
3.  Visual C++ 2005 (which installs 2 above)

ML.EXE 8.0 has a dependancy on MSVCR80.DLL, and you can't just copy the DLL, it has to be installed by one of the above.

If you want to know why, read this: Visual Studio 2005 DLL Hell

JFG

Thanks for the help everybody!   :bg

Gee whiz!  What happened with the days when we could just slap any executable file wherever and use it?  And why do I have to do things "the right way?"  Now I'll have to close all my programs and restart my computer!!  I wanted to hog that vast empty space on my two big fat hard-drives for nothing; now I'll have to give up a piece of it for that fatso Visual Studio 2005 and all that extrauseful blubber inspired by Microsoft 'seeing my potential,' all stuffed there for making life easier.  If I wanted to make my life easier I would program in extrapretty drag-and-drop C++ with MFC instead of making the most possible from scratch with x86 + MMX + 3D-Now! + SSE1 + SSE2 + Prescott macro assembly language.  Is there maybe some way I can stick in the MSVCR80 DLL on my hard-drive and fiddle bits in the Windows registry to trick Windows into making this work?  I don't like things being easy.

GregL

Quote from: JFGIs there maybe some way I can stick in the MSVCR80 DLL on my hard-drive and fiddle bits in the Windows registry to trick Windows into making this work?

Not that I know of. It's all rather complex.

japheth

> Not that I know of. It's all rather complex.

it's complex because MS deliberately made it complex. The problem simply is that the MASM v8 binary requires a "newer" version of MSVCR80.DLL and with an old one you get these messages about "cannot execute".

There was no good reason at all to make masm dependant from a MSVC dll, it could have been linked statically, avoiding all these problems.