News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

A question about pop and push

Started by Alawna, June 07, 2006, 05:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boucly

Sooo, TheGreatJason, you have downloaded MASM32, right? If you had, "C:\masm32\helpasmintro.hlp" provides a great start on assembly.

Regards,
Christopher

TheGreatJason

My only reply to that can be OMG!!!

I mean if people actually read that before they came here this topic wouldn't even exist!  There are so many help files listed in the QEditor, that you assume none of them is particularly useful after reading the first 1 or 2.  WHY ISN'T THAT ONE AT THE TOP???  (OK, under QEditor help then...)  Also, isn't the 'About' Dialog usually at the bottom of the Help menu.  How many conventions do you need to break?  Geez.  Here's some real freeware source editing software!  I hope that will inspire you to write a better QEditor, hutch.  In fact, it has some custom toolbar slots to put Assemble, Link, Assemble+Link and everything else you need in.  And the syntax files for x86 are already included in the package.  And you can change the file associations from inside the program too...  .asm Associate...  Looks like QEditor has become redundant already!  I should make a topic about this somewhere else for people to read...

OK, I'm sure I had something else to say, but I can't remember what now...

Thanks again

hutch--

:bg

Jason,

Pssssst, this is a secret. Go to the options on the EDIT menu "Edit Menus" and look at the last section with the HELP heading.

[help]
&MASM32 Help,\MASM32\HELP\masm32.hlp
High Level Macro Help,\masm32\help\hlhelp.hlp
MASM32 &Library Reference,\MASM32\HELP\Masmlib.hlp
MASM32 Dialog Help,\MASM32\HELP\Dialogs.hlp
&FPU Lib Help,\MASM32\HELP\Fpulib.hlp
-
&Opcodes Help,\MASM32\HELP\Opcodes.hlp
&FP Opcodes Help,\masm32\HELP\Fphelp.hlp
-
&ASM Intro Help,\masm32\HELP\Asmintro.hlp
-
&VKdebug Help,\masm32\HELP\dbgwin.hlp

The QE help file is local to the ediitor so it always stays at the top but you can change the order of the rest or add anything you like to it.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

TheGreatJason

Yeah, it took me too long to realise that even though I looked at that option while I was writing that comment, since I was looking at the Assemble & Link menu option.  I stand by my argument that the default order of the help files is strange and that About should be at the bottom not the top.  I also wrote about Crimson Editor in the Colosseum so everyone can try it and instructions on how to replace QEditor with it by setting some of the custom menu options.  I also noticed that your indenting button always puts an empty line after the indent.  Which is bad if you don't want it to do that.  And if you don't select the whole line it puts the indent inside the line?!?!  Now that's just wrong.  No need to talk more about that here, go to the Colosseum.  I still can't remember what I was going to ask...

GregL

Jason,

Yes, I assumed you already had the MASM32 package.

Here is a link to an HTML Help version of the 'MASM Programmer's Guide', the whole thing in one handy package. http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=5433.0

Quote from: TheGreatJasonQuote from: MASM Programmer's Guide
This Programmer's Guide is written for experienced programmers who know
assembly language and are familiar with an assembler.
Hmmm...
Just ignore that, you can learn a lot from it.

TheGreatJason

Quote from: GregJust ignore that, you can learn a lot from it.
I intended too... :8)

Thanks for that chm file Greg!  Much more portable and convenient for quick reference.  I did already download all the pdfs though, so I'll use those if when I have to read through in more detail.  I'm not sure why you bothered to put it in a .zip file though.  Only 1% was compressed... :lol

TheGreatJason

I found a link to this book in another topic on this forum.  It is more of a reference document than a learning course as it says, but there seems to be some excellent tips in there, and I've only glanced at it for a few minutes.  How do you experienced people rate this book?

Quote from: The Art of Assembly Language ProgrammingYou can toggle an alphabetic character between upper and lower case by simply inverting bit five.

Simply mindblowing.  I feel like a fool for not knowing it before... :red