News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

MS pop up window on boot

Started by petezl, January 30, 2005, 10:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petezl

I installed a 95 program on XP and got a pop up window on boot, to the effect " Xp is not allowing this program to run as it might cause, bla, bla". Right so I uninstalled the offending program but still get the annoying pop window on boot up. :(
I can't find any references to the program using regedit. Any idea where I need to look and edit?
Peter.
Cats and women do as they please
Dogs and men should realise it.

MichaelW

Well, there is a RAT named "Bla", perhaps the popup is referring to a double infection :green

You could look in the start menu startup folder, and at win.ini and system.ini. I think the same information will be in the registry but it will be harder to find there. If the program left an INF file on your disk, by examining the file you might be able to get an idea of what files the installation may have added and what registry changes it may have made. You could also check your event logs for useful information.
eschew obfuscation

petezl

Thanks Michael,
Will look into it. Infection is highly unlikely as this box is stand alone and I don't import files to it very often. If there WAS a rat there then the cat would be on to it!
Peter.

asmGhost

This may help....then again it may not. :bg
But there is some good info here TheElderGeek.

petezl

It's hard to tell you all just how much I hate pop-up's. The first attempts at removing them came to nothing so I now have a lump hammer beside the computer screen, Just hope I don't have to use it... :dazzled:
Thanks asmGhost, I'll take a lok at that site.
win98 would be no trouble to sort. Xp is still a little new to me behind the scenes
Peter.