News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

BIOS ID string

Started by danieLs, September 17, 2006, 10:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danieLs

i need to find out the bios id string so i can make my software run only on some pc's
in win xp i know that i can use the WMI form c/c++ but this won't work in win9x/me
for that i think i need some vxd driver that needs to be donne in asm
Can anybody help me with this plsease?

PBrennick

If it is an AMI/Award BIOS, you can download a program called CTBIOS.exe (ctbios.zip) from here.

Google is useful to find these things...
Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

danieLs

well i need to make by myself a program to read the BIOS id :)
so what i need is some source code or some tutorials :)

P1

danieLs,

Welcome Aboard      :U

The forum 'Search' and your favorite seach engine will answer many questions before we can and save you time.   :dance:

With so many BIOS strings out there, would not a functional check work better during setup of your software?

Regards,  P1  :8)

danieLs

Thank you P1 for the welkome.
My pleasure to be here.
I think you ppl inspired me to learn asm :)

I did used Google , and forum search before my post but didn't find what i was looking for  :(
I didn't understand what do you mean by a "functional check during setup" (if you can explain please)... but if i do something at setup..
after my program is installed it can be redistribued to orther persons already installed and it will work for them too.
I am searching for some method to make a uniquea ar almost unique ID of a computer so my software can be downloaded free from the internet but
when somebody whant to use it he will need to activate it by giveing me the id of his pc and me giveing him a serial back based on what he gived me that will unlock the software.
I need something like http://www.ionworx.com/machineid.html ...but because my software will be free i also need something free... or someway to doit myself.
Thank you for understanding, and sorry for this long post

Mark_Larson

There is no standard for where the BIOS ID string is saved.  However several standards make that information available.  Check out SMBIOS and DMI.  Most computers support one or the other.  What are you going to do if two people have the same BIOS ID string?  You probably should look at other ways of doing this.
BIOS programmers do it fastest, hehe.  ;)

My Optimization webpage
htttp://www.website.masmforum.com/mark/index.htm