News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Pagefile

Started by RedXVII, August 23, 2006, 01:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedXVII

Heres an interesting idea, lets say someone buys 8gB of nice low latency RAM :dazzled: and sticks it in their PC. Now, ive never seen a program use more than 1.5gB. If this bloke turns off page file, then there will be no need to manage it - performance increase?

RedXVII

Mark Jones

Well in theory that sounds well and good, but in practice the results might be unstable. I recall trying to do that with an earlier OS (maybe Win98SE or 2k) and it caused all kinds of random problems from system crashes to applications refusing to even open. The XP kernel caches stuff to disk without needing to, so it seems like that's the ingrained modus operandi of windows. Of course, try it, maybe things are different with the newer OS's. :bg
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Vortex

QuoteNow, ive never seen a program use more than 1.5gB

Windows lets you to modify the size of the pagefile.

MazeGen

I have XP SP2, 1.5 gigs of RAM, no pagefile, and all is running smooth, without any problems :thumbu

ninjarider

if im not mistaken the p4 processor has a segment of ram that it writes to the hard drive so that other programs seem like there the only think running in memory. or atleast thats how i understood it when i read it.

Relvinian

I run XP SP2 with 1g RAM and no paging file...Have no problems with day-to-day stuff, gaming, etc....

Relvinian

sluggy

Hehe, i can beat you all.... i run WinXp Sp2, no pagefile, but i have 4GB RAM  :toothy
Interestingly, XP seems to run ok with that amount of memory, IOW i don't have to restart it on a weekly basis, it can go for weeks without the problems that manifest on my work machine (which only has 1GB ram). I put quite a load on this machine sometimes, but i have never seen it use more than 1.5GB - maybe it does when i'm gaming, but at that point i am too busy to be checking the process manager  :lol

Ghirai

I can say the same for my box, but i only have 2GB of RAM, and don't really play games.

I shut it down only when i'm out of town, and reboot only when needed due to software install (say once a month or so).
MASM32 Project/RadASM mirror - http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html